Sunday, May 8, 2011

Hallmark Holidays

In my world only one holiday matters--Thanksgiving. Today is not Thanksgiving, it's Mother's Day. Another holiday where society creates a pictorial representation for what the day should hold. Purchase (and mail) meaningless card, send flowers or other gift(s), call the woman who brought you into this world--check, check, check. I love my ma and with confidence I can assure you she knows that (or she probably would not answer my multiple phone calls home a week).

My ma gratefully respects my detest for holidays where there is pressure to celebrate. I met her in the middle with an electronic card, an undisclosed (she won't open till May 12) practical gift, and a phone call this afternoon. If I could be so lucky as spend this day with her... I imagine a fancy breakfast and reading books on the porch all afternoon.

As jealous children, the yearly question probed regarding the lack of children's day. The answer of our honest mother, "everyday is your day." Gasping as I have grown to the realization of the truth behind that statement. I am sure there are plenty of days my mom has to love me despite my wrong doings or days she was proudly celebrates me for my accomplishments. The are an abundance of times I do not thank her or relay my love enough. You can't right the wrong simply by pouring your ma with love once yearly, specifically on the second Sunday of May.

Is one of the Ten Commandments not "thou shalt honor thy mother and thy father?" Even though I am not particularly religious I believe in morals. We can strive to honor our mothers every day. No mother I know would turn that down.

At 23, I have a much more comprehensive understanding of the sacrifices my mom made for me (and still does). I am thankful she is in my life each and every day and feel doubly blessed to have both my maternal and paternal grandmothers as a part of my life too. I am not an overly affectionate person--I need to be better about expressing the meaning of having a wonderful mother in my book more frequently.

No comments:

Post a Comment