Friday, February 12, 2010

Teaching

Cross teaching off possible career options. I do not like teaching at all, which is horribly depressing since that is my primary project while I am here. Teaching is not sustainable. It could be… but not in my case. I have a background in Biology (not teaching or math). I am teaching eight-grade math (adding and subtracting fractions, sets, properties of shapes, measuring angles). I have no experience teaching classes of 70 plus students who are learning in their second language, nor do I have knowledge in classroom management. The only “teaching” I have done is tutoring where there were never more than five students at a time. Not only do I lack teaching experience, I have not been here long enough to grasp the education system (patience, patience, patience). I did not expect it to be like America, and I do not want it to be. The Basotho have so much pride in their culture and country. I do not want to step on any toes or make changes in that department. I just want to get my students and I want them to get me.

I am happy to report my principal and co-teachers have been nothing but helpful, friendly, and understanding. I am supposed to be here to help them and instead I feel like a burden. I am constantly asking them questions, shadowing their classes (anything for new ideas), and using their lesson plans. They will stop everything they are doing and try their best to explain things to me. I am so grateful they do their best to speak in English when I am around or translate when I ask.

Teaching is also not challenging. My only challenge is finding a way to make myself like it. I do not use other teachers lesson plans because I am lazy… I use them because I tend to overdo it. The “textbooks” here are very basic and bland so when I have memories of something one of my teachers did growing up I like to spice it up, which on multiple occasions has led to mass chaos, laughter, and confusion. Never hurts to try, or keep trying? As of now I go to school, I write notes on the board, I repeat the notes twice orally during class, I ask questions, the students answer incorrectly, I correct them, I assign homework, I grade homework. Repeat Monday through Friday. It’s depressing. I realize making any true changes/differences in this country is impossible. I am not giving up. I am being realistic. This is more of a survival/cultural experience.

Growing up my teachers have definitely been the most influential people in my life. Here I am, given this incredible opportunity to “give back” and be that person for my students. That brings me to the third reason I dislike teaching: I can’t communicate with my students. They do not understand basic instructions (write your name on your paper, this is your homework, pick up your notebooks at break in the staff room). The school system is so test oriented (much like America) as opposed to learning oriented. The majority of my students struggle because they have never been taught how to learn. They do not take notes in class, they attempt to memorize everything (does not work in math!), and they have no concept of time (and how to manage during a test). I wish I could take class time to teach them some of the things I find beneficial, but it would take days to for them to “get” it, meaning “wasting” tons of class time when I need to be cramming their heads with math facts. In my opinion, it would not be a waste at all. It could potentially benefit them for life, except we are in Lesotho where there is NO future thought. I am in a bind.

On the upside, I did pick up a ninth grade science class last week. I still do not really enjoy teaching, but my students have an extra year of English under their belts (so much help). Plus, they are ever so curious. They like when I come hang out with them, and they are really open and honest with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment