Sunday, February 14, 2010

The Joaleng

This weekend we had a “welcome to your new district party” at my place. All the volunteers in my district gathered together for good food and fun. Good will be the term I use to describe any food not cooked by me! Most parties serve a little booze.

Problem 1: There is only beer in my district, a substance my body will not allow me to drink.

Problem 2: We are in Lesotho.

Why are these problems? You have already learned abusing alcohol is a major problem in this country. Well you see in order to get that beer sold by the quart you have to bring back your empty bottle.

Us: “Ntate (equivalent to Mr.), we have not bought beer here before, how can we have empties?”

Ntate: “No sell, no empties.”

Us: “What do we do if this is our first time at your bar?”

Ntate: “No sell, no empties.”

Us: “Can we bring them back to you in the morning?”

Ntate: “No sell, no empties.”

This conversation went on for quite sometime. The sale was not made until we found some villagers to provide us with empties, which are now being held hostage till my next visitors arrive (under the command of the other volunteers).

This is Lesotho.

No comments:

Post a Comment