Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Here's the mail, it never fails

Today, after waiting for three plus agonizingly long weeks I got some mail from home. I immediately read through all the letters and then whipped out my computer to jot down my emotions. I can’t explain to you how much I love(!!!) mail. It’s fantastic! I appreciate you writing! I always have an immediate attitude adjustment after reading the letters and a renewed sense of faith in relationships at home. I think (know) I was being a tad insecure about my relationships back home. Thankfully, lots of encouraging emails last time I had internet (which apparently is not going to be a Saturday routine, sigh) made me realize I need to chill out, breathe, and reflect. If I spend all my time on the internet I am never going to integrate. I must stop moping around and dreaming all things American or this is never going to an enjoyable experience. Things are definitely getting better. According to Pops, you can’t change a country over night (or in three months). Who knew? Not I. Unfortunately, you also can’t get patient overnight. Lesotho and I are under construction.

I thought I would give some mail superlatives:

Best Cards: Mom, you win. They’re cute and perfect for me.

Best Picture: A tie between Aunt L.B.V. and A.L.R.L./T.D.R.L.! I mean who doesn’t like a dog dressed as a reindeer or a Christmas picture of two of the most adorable kids on the planet?

Best Postcard: New Zealand (duh) from K.A.R. Things do not get much better than vacationing (or study abroad) in New Zealand! On the topic of postcards, please send postcards when you travel (especially overseas). I think it will be fun to track where all my friends and family travel while I am gone. Plus, it is a really good way to teach the Basotho there are other countries (besides Lesotho, South Africa, and America).

Biggest “life change” since I left (revealed in a letter): Winner, the college age brother (C.D.H.) who right before I left I had the opportunity to visit. He was ‘finally’ content with his major and now he reveals Saturday, February 5th he is taking the LSAT. Ahh, what happened? He finally realized how intellectual he was and craves a challenge. We all know how I feel about standardized test. Good luck!

Funniest Letter: Hands down, this one goes to the little brother, C.A.H. I can’t describe to you how funny and informative his letter was. I absolutely LOVED it. If only he frequented the letter writing department a little more!

Letter most like his/her personality: This one goes to J.L.W. Her letters are typically short, always quick and to the point!

Longest letter(s): C.J.R. writes the longest, most detailed letters. And, they’re great! Please do not stop. I feel most informed on your life!

Most Encouraging Letter: Definitely, K.F.A. You rock! You are too kind and you always seem to know exactly what to say. When I am down you pick me up, and when I am doing good you give me added confidence. You make me feel like I have superpowers that actually allow me to really save this world!

Most informative in the sports department: Tie again! If we are speaking strictly mail then Pops takes the cake. If we include email, M.L. who just so happened to give me the play-by-play in one of the playoff games definitely shares the cake.

Most Letters Received: Grams, is topping the list with five letters received. I would like to point out that her letters came in random order (and this is a trend I am starting to notice with many of you, no complaints, they are making it): letter one, four, three, and then two and five today!

Of course, all your mail is fabulous! I can’t wait till the puzzles and world updates start rolling in. My head might explode.

No comments:

Post a Comment