Monday, February 1, 2010

More on the Opposite Effect

In America I would not, could not hurt a fly, squash a spider, or ruin an ant mound. Sure, the pesky critter might be fluttering in my face but what harm is that really doing? None. Here, I am a fly swatting, spider crushing, mosquito hunting machine. No bug better step in my way. That is, unless it wants to die. I make sure to kill at least ten critters before I start each day, beginning with the fly who was brave enough to land on my face and therefore wake me up! You can’t possibly begin to imaging waking up to 47 flies floating around your kitchen/bathroom/bedroom combo one room “hut.” Forgive me for failing to mention the three massive spiders and 14 new mosquito bites that also greet me EACH and EVERYday. Since critters, more commonly known as insects can’t be trained, it is an all out war.

Some might recognize me as the girl who always carried around that purple (clear, or orange) Nalgene full of nice clean American water waiting to be gulped. She is not coming back from Lesotho, and her days are numbered (740, but who is counting?). That girl is coming back and never drinking water again. It is not that I am drinking more water here, still averaging my three liters a day (with a heck of a lot more work I might add—three to five minutes of boiling, followed by an hour long filtering process). The fact that I have no cold skim milk or anything else besides water is killing me. I’ll stop being picky, it does not have to be cold or skim. I will take any milk-like substance. Much to my dismay, all the milk in Lesotho shelf milk (long life full cream). I guess I could find a dairy cow, milk it myself, and then pasteurize it. Pasteurized it myself? Let’s be honest, that will never happen. At least there are options… like wait till you get back to America and DRIVE a car to the air conditioned store to buy cold skim milk. Let’s face it I probably won’t ever stop carrying around that Nalgene, it’s part of me. From now (as in February 2012) on I am just going to be filling in with cold skim milk!

No comments:

Post a Comment