Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Atlanta, Georgia

If my records are right, Thanksgiving was over a month ago... and our family trip to Atlanta, Georgia has gone undocumented. I could go on, unproductively, with a list of excuses, or simply unfold my notes into a readable account of the holiday vacation.

I arrived at Reagan National Airport on Monday, November 21, 2011, revived from a weekend in Orlando, Florida, and on Tuesday, our family--minus the one we were on our way to visit--was on-the-road North to Baltimore Washington International Airport for our in-the-air flight South. The first two days of the trip, I was off--I chalked that up to a bout of dizziness and ongoing sleep deprivation. The revival had the effect of a sugar high. I was back on my feet with a drink, food binge, and some rest. The remainder of the trip followed suit--excess eating and drinking--minus the whole sleep part.

We stayed with our dear family friends, a few houses down from our old Alpharetta home. As with any trip to an previous hometown, I marveled in the changes; the rapidly growing suburb of Altanta, nestled in north Fulton County, had some unrecognizable alterations. On Wednesday--our family day, we ventured to C.D.H.'s, I mean S.M.S's place to visit with our guy and his girl. The time was chatty... as if we had not been together in years. We checked-out their place, and even got a brief walking tour of the surrounding area. He bypassed the option to stock up on groceries at Whole Foods, instead dragging the family to the "Murder Kroger." At least he has fine taste in restaurants, for dinner he took us (on Pop's bill) to Flip, a fancy burger boutique, owned by some Top Chef finalist. I was impressed by the number of vegetarian options! The burgers were fabulous, though the real show winners were the accompanying liquid nitrogen milkshakes. Or did the Krispy Kreme donuts we picked up for dessert, erase all memories of Flip? (Re: Eating and drinking in excess!)
The rest of Atlanta was filled with the obvious holiday occasion, more togetherness, a Mexican lunch, good coffee, Black Friday shopping (It is these sort of occasions I am thankful I do not have actual sisters.), a trip to the nail salon (Retract last statement. This experience is far superior with 'sisters.'), chopping down trees, and S.K.H.’s 29th birthday celebration. 
We found a few minutes to spare before our flight home to catch part of the Michigan/Ohio State game, unfortunately we were mid-air for majority... though when we landed, The Big Blue had prevailed. 'Hail to the Victors!' 
(The delayed account allows me to express my disappointment in another ill-planned flight time. Long before kick-offs--and locations, in this case--were announcements, I was forced to purchase roundtrip airfare. I be mid-air during the--Michigan/Virgina Tech--Sugar Bowl... and leaving New Orleans, home of the Sugar Bowl. This is bad. Worse: It is wreaking havoc on my attempt to make Orange Bowl plans.)

We were home in time for the Clemson/University of South Carolina game, however, an unfortunate incident with the sister of a friend prevented me from catching the game--the one condition I had for driving to Alexandria to hang out. The emotions have subsided, and since Clemson wound up losing to their in-state rivals, I was better off without game coverage. (I am done believing, forever a fan.) And without the distraction of football, I was able to focus and catch-up with the fellow Peace Corps volunteers.

No comments:

Post a Comment