Sunday, December 18, 2011

Unfortunate News

(I was in the heat of this post when our internet cut out. It was revived this afternoon. This chronicle, delayed from Wednesday, is predictably upsetting. Had I been able to finish writing as my sadness flowed through that moment--you might have accurately caught my gist. And I am rambling…)

My plate is full. I should be scurrying around trying to make sure everything that needs to be handled before full-time holiday mode sets in is complete. I have a list a mile-long, with 'secure a job' at the top.

When I refreshed my email, I had a link to this article regarding an old beaver pond in the Beartooth Mountains of Montana boldly waiting in my inbox. I can all but guarantee you will have no interest in the contents of this article... but I had to share my devastation. I am momentarily flustered and quite off track.

So I am here, writing, at noon on a weekday. I poured another cup of coffee. I have The Avett Brothers playing on Pandora. My Rocky Mountain Field Ecology pictures are pulled up... and I am scanning for the old beaver pond. The author of the article, nature/wildlife photographer Dan Hartman, took my Ecology 491 class to his treasured spot, this old beaver pond, on our May 2008 trip.

These are the images I have from my brief visit to the (Beartooths and) pond. They are low-quality, forgive me, I was working with 3.2 megapixels. It really is a gem to be "treasure[d] for its' purity... packed with diverse habitat."
I am struck by the harsh reminder of the way life often works in this world. I am unmistakably disheartened for Hartman's loss. This was his place. Then the reminder: life is a game. We question the rules, the fairness--unless of course it is going our way. I have been discouraged by the roadblocks in my path; my skill set limits me from competing on the level I would prefer. I want to stop. To complain. Worse though are the losses--exceeding my control--I am forced to accept. The game continues and sitting out is never an option.

Living in an area of exploding suburbia, habitats are being ruined faster than I can blink. We, the destructors, place an insurmountable challenge on our creatures, whether deer or songbird... and they never have a voice. I do not have the answers for exploding population, for our need to reconstruct and redesign nature. Instead I have distrust in we--the destructors. I have loads of raw emotion--genuine sorrow for the creatures we continually take from. The ones who silently forge on in this game of life.

No comments:

Post a Comment