Sunday, December 11, 2011

My People, My Time

I hadn't intended to be 'offline' from blogging for the last few days... but, alas, life has had other plans. My 'real' life has required a lot from me this week. Couple this with the week I had been out of town... I was already behind. I chose to let my normal 'responsibilities' go in order be where I felt I was needed more urgently--to spend quality time purposefully with my people.

There was time for a three hour conversation with my favorite pharmacy student, C.J.R. Our conversations are normally this long... and occur more often than you can imagine. The end of semester exams seemed to have us off our routine; I was happy to carve out this hunk of morning for her.

The first Saturday of the month I celebrated S.K.H.'s "last year in the twenties" with clan in Arlington. This birthday celebration entailed Mexican dinner, bar hopping, and a sleepover. (We will never be too old!) Though we already rang in the 29th year in Atlanta just the weekend before, M.J.H. was in town from Vail to help commemorate the occasion.
On Tuesday Latte Woman graciously thanked me for helping her train for America's Sweetest Race with lunch at Faang (Thai food--my first choice) and dessert at Pinkberry. And while she was busy spoiling me, I made sure her accomplishment was honored--she finished her big race and ran the entire way. Forget the newest 'get active' Couch-to-5K running fad, Latte Woman went couch-to-15K. Our two-person party continued on to a couple cutesy shops in town before heading home for, you guessed it, Turkish coffee. I had the pleasure of joining her for multiple walks throughout the week too.

Last night I was spent the night with the M munchkins. We crafted a gingerbread house, made and decorated sugar cookies, and watched Lion King while nibbling on an oversized bowl of Styrofoam (marketed as microwave popcorn). These children kept the laughter rolling with their one-liners. I simple could not cuddle them enough, meaning bedtime was closer to 10 pm, instead of my preferred 8 pm deadline.

My favorite hound dog and I discovered a new path for our brisk winter walks. He's been a disaster this holiday season--I am thrilled to take him out of the house (and off the hands of Mom) when weather permits. (When it comes to a muddy wet pooch, I can be a wimp.)
Today I traveled 40 minutes from my home to accompany K.L.K on an afternoon hike. We had blue skies for a thousand miles. I was exactly where I needed to be. 
In this season where calendars are crazy--extra events, expenses, errands at every turn--I am thankful my schedule is such that it allows me to prioritize what (and who) is necessary.

No comments:

Post a Comment