Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Capturing Thanksgiving

On Thanksgiving Day I was up early 'thought planning' the day--hoping the it would be one of meaning.

As soon as I had a black & tan coffee in my hand, all daydreaming was pushed to the back burner. Before long... my coffee disappeared... and the entire house was awake with Bloody Marys in hand. Our minds were right--liquid courage racing through our bloodstream, it was time for the annual family friendly football game. The teams were decided, positions determined, and the match kicked-off. My team came up on the short side; I, and recommend you, blame that on my quarterback of a father who refused to throw to his wide-open daughter. So not bitter(!!!).
We headed back to our quarters, following the post-game analysis, and gobbled down a French toast and hash-brown breakfast while those with tolerance sipped Mimosas. Everyone gathered around the outdoor television to watch the Detroit Lions/Green Bay Packers game--a tradition passed down from grandparents to parents to children, of both families gathered for the holiday--under near perfect temperatures. We upped the warmth--cheers be to the holidays--with a fire in the outdoor place. The audience might have been convinced this was year of the Lions, but when the Lions came up short... these Thanksgiving Day fans were not surprised.
 
Those cooking assumed position in the kitchen to begin heating all that had been prepared in advance... while others showered... and made way to the driveway for the fried turkey cooking show. And those familiar with this Southern tradition should know there is nothing to actually see... so the entertainment became a vodka taste test instead. The winning brand by unanimous vote: Kirland Signature Vodka.
The Dallas Cowboys/Miami Dolphins game began, appetizers were offered to cleanse the palate, and the anticipated meal was served at the half. Two tables. Two turkeys. Twenty-two sides. The indulging... topped off with misery, or dessert.
When you do not help cook, you clean. I will forever think 'dish duty' is a great bargain! The remains were scooped into Tupperware for leftovers. The dishes were collected, rinsed, sudsed, dried, and returned. Then it was time for a neighborhood walk. A break from togetherness upon return led me upstairs to my phone, where I had a voicemail from J.M.S. announcing her engagement. (Tangent: To say I am elated for the perfect couple would be putting in mildly. My friendship with J.M.S. dates back to August 2005, freshman year of college. I am honored to be in the wedding party, and cannot wait to celebrate her fairy tale day in December of next year.)

We capped off the evening with a lengthy game of Yahtzee over a glass of Baileys. At the conclusion of our game, the exhaustion set in. I retired to bed--filled in the best way.

No comments:

Post a Comment