Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Unwasted

I am in the middle of re-settling into my routine succeeding recent travel. There are letters to write, cookies to be decorated, phone calls to return, blogs to post, runs to eliminate Thanksgiving stuffing, pictures to edit... and some might add, a job to find, if entry level openings in fact exist.

Then, a minute late, Mom casually mentions The Cleaning Ladies are coming today. This announcement sends me into an immediate downward spiral of depression. Things get crazy chaotic when The Cleaning Ladies show up three hours sooner than expected... and Mom was out walking Louis. Fails: Mother 2; Daughter 0. I am left to finish turning the house upside down in preparation while The Cleaning Ladies begin doing the cleaning I mistakingly thought I had been doing all morning. The required work deepens my depression. I am infuriated and flustered, which lends itself to a basic algebra session. Nerd, I know, but I think we have already established that fact. The calculation: How many days--The Cleaning Ladies to blame--have I wasted? The answer: 474. Grrrrreat.

Come nightfall I will jump into a bed of crispy clean sheets... and all will be forgotten, that is, until Wednesday, two weeks from today. (End Prelude)

On the 'waste today' list was Target, Starbucks, Bed Bath & Beyond (Is there a store stocked with more unnecessary goods?), Bank of American't, the ABC Store, and Bloom. Somewhere between purchase a gift for S.M.S., girlfriend of C.D.H., and deposit check for C.A.H. we (Mom + me) came across Occupy Chick-fil-A.
Tomorrow is the grand opening of the town's first Chick-fil-A. 
The registration for the "First 100" began this morning at six. To claim your free Chick-fil-A for a year,  your presence is mandatory for the 24-hour stretch prior to the official opening. The daytime high is 42 degrees. This is a glimpse into the parking lot with seven hours down, 17 remaining:
And it gets better:
And better (for the omnivore)...
This jovial Cow Girl donated her earned free lunch to us... just because. Her generosity inspired me; Cow Girl has passion, and I am charmed by spirited people, undeterred by the fact her enthusiasm is, after all, for fried chicken. (My take on Chick-fil-A: Despite boasting a mean milkshake, increased business would result from the end of religious music in the bathrooms and more vegetarian menu options. Never lacking an opinion.)

Now, lest I remember this as a wasteful day. Eat Mor Chikin' America, eat on.

(And for those of you Southern born and bred, who know "First 100" recipients because Chick-fil-As pop up around you left and right, this experience was a first for me--do not take away my glory.)

1 comment:

  1. Chick-fil-a must be a Southern thing, we do not have them here in MA. I have only seen them in airports and have never had the courage to try. Something about the name is not appealing to me, but if they make a mean milkshake I may have to give them a try!

    :-)

    ReplyDelete