Tuesday, September 23, 2014

How are you going gold?

Over the past two years my interest in childhood cancer has grown tremendously. As a result, I’ve been reading more first person accounts of the childhood cancer. I came across this article this morning from The Huffington Post and I would encourage you to read the full article here.

"I never thought I'd hear those words, 'Your daughter has cancer' ... and then one day I did," says Melissa Bradley, whose 4-year-old daughter, Belle, is currently in treatment.

The devastating reality is that a parent hears that news every three minutes.

And while childhood cancer is the leading cause of death by disease in kids under 15, research remains underfunded -- currently, less than 4 percent of the National Cancer Institute's budget is allocated to research it.


As I have mentioned here and here, Latte Woman's 13-year old son has osteosarcoma (bone cancer). And while I have seen so much good pour out of the community on behalf of Mathias, I live each day with a pit in my stomach. I can't say it enough: This isn't fair. Mathias is a child; a kind and brave and wonderful and smart child. He will forever be a my super star. Sadly, though, he isn't the only childhood cancer warrior. There are so many.

This month is Childhood Cancer Awareness month. Our once yearly, month-long reminder to stand up to this disease. We have a  responsibility to continue to fight for our children. I'm doing a small part to learn as much as I can about childhood cancer and spread awareness at each opportunity.

Join the fight. We're all going gold, together.

No comments:

Post a Comment