Monday, September 15, 2014

Another Non-Traditional Wedding

I spent a lot, lot, lot of time in the car this weekend. And every minute, including the many, many, many minutes patiently sitting idle on I-81 N outside of Harrisonburg, Virginia, home to James Madison University, for those unfamiliar with this sector of interstate. Boyfriend and I departed at 4:15 am on Friday morning, southbound for the Five Star Lodge and Stables in Morganton, Georgia. (I highly, highly, highly recommend you click the hyperlink and browse the property, specifically the images, as I did not do a great job of photo-documenting the incredible property. There was not a single detail of the lodge, pavilion, or stable overlooked.) We arrived shortly before 2:00 pm, after a few bathroom and gas stops and our 'road trip ritual' pause at Dunkin' Donuts.
This was a small wedding--less than 60 guests--and each invitee spent the duration of the weekend together. On the first afternoon, as guest trickled in, we toured the lodge and property and played basketball, tennis, and bags. I'm the worst at all the aforementioned sports, hence the reason I run. As I tossed the occasional bean bag, I talked endlessly with M.E.K. It was then time to clean-up for dinner; despite being at the base of the Blue Ridge Mountains, it was H-O-T in GA.
The rehearsal dinner was a heavenly pile of barbeque. And Joe's BBQ did a fabulous job, especially considering he was catering to a Kansas-based crowd, the true land of all things bbq. I called it a night around 11:00 pm. This is way, way, way past my bedtime, even when I'm not up at 4:00 am.
Almost immediately after arriving, it was clear there was virtually no where to run (and the hotel treadmill was not anything I'd risk running on)... so I opted to give myself the long weekend off, providing ample free time--to sleep(!!!)--without the usual mandatory weekend long run. I got up at the leisurely time of 8:30 am; I cannot remember the last time I slept in that late. I gobbled up the continental breakfast. And eventually made my way to the lodge for wedding day festivities. The day turned out to be busier than anticipated for the bride and groom (and those more involved). Since our help wasn't needed, we passed the time visiting the stables, reading in rocking chairs, and watching some college football on one of the many televisions. This was an easy Saturday.
Boyfriend and I made a quick detour to a local waterfall when I could no longer sit idle, just before it was time to wash up for the evening's celebration.
From the venue to the food to the band to the weather, the evening was perfect. The bride's friend did a fabulous job officiating the wedding. The ceremony was meaningful in absolutely every way. The cocktail hour and dinner flew by, both the Moscow Mules and food were divine. The whole affair--rehearsal dinner, ceremony, reception--was SO simple, without compensating a single detail. This wedding "ranks" rather highly in the tally I don't actually keep; I could gush on and on. As a believer in intentional relationships, I will end with the best part of the weekend, for me: time with both the bride and groom. I've mentioned H.M.O., now H.M.P., and A.B.P. recently moved from Washington, D.C. to Nashville, Tennessee; both Boyfriend and I miss them terribly. I'm glad we were able to see and spend this meaningful time with them.
 To the happy couple, cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment