Friday, September 5, 2014

Charleston, South Carolina: Day 1

May I preface vacation with the 'apartment to myself' time I was granted while Boyfriend was off with his boyfriend drinking all things carbonated. I crave alone time. I also crave relaxation, something I haven't quite mastered in my time on earth. After completing all the pre-vacation essentials, I read before blissfully crashing in bed, the only form of relaxing I know. There could be more of these nights.

After arriving in Charleston, South Carolina late on Thursday night, I refused to my alter my 6:00 am running agenda because it was slotted to be a true to form August day (i.e., SO very hot and humid). I ran to Charles Town Landing, where I wanted to spend the day exploring; there were birds galore at this early hour. I snapped a few photos and continued on my way, clocking in at a nice eight minute mile pace for the course of eight miles. If Charleston is hot and humid, it's also as flat as a pancake. Amen. Enough about running, there's a full day of activity is on the docket to report. 
First up, Kudu Coffee & Craft Beer. I sat down with my iced coffee at 9:30 am, while Boyfriend perused the beer menu until beer was being sold, half an hour after my purchase. We sipped happily in vacation mode, while people watching and reviewing the day's agenda. From coffee (and beer), we wandered up King Street, the shopping mecca of Charleston, to Two Boroughs Larder for breakfast. In route, we spotted Glazed Gourmet Doughnuts and had to stop in. The donuts were supreme and we were gifted a free donut, hooray! We actually made way to our breakfast stop after the donuts appetizer, where shortly after we were joined by several of our friends, the early arrivers. The breakfast sandwiches were delightful. And I ate my heart into merriment.
We lingered at breakfast for some time before heading to City Market for browsing. The temperature was over 100 degrees at this point and the heat index read even higher. While I was ready to stroll The Battery at an easy pace, the group voted for cold drinks at Southend Brewery & Smokehouse. I surrendered to group mentality. Maturity.
Afterwards, I needed lunch or dinner so we stopped in a Brown Dog Deli, where it was ultimately hard to choose from the sandwiches options that sounded all kinds of good. Boyfriend and I narrowed our choices to two, splitting the Apple "Butter" Jeans and a corned beef sandwich, of which the name I'm blanking on. We opted to walk to the hostel, after kindly being told I eat too much, while the rest of the crew opted for an Uber, following this meal. The walk was hot but the streets of Charleston are so quaint and I wanted to make sure Boyfriend saw all of them before we left on Monday, even if it was a bazillion percent humid.
At this point, it was time--the reason for our being in Charleston--for the Peace Corps Lesotho Education 2010 Reunion to commence. We were actually there to celebrate S.L.P. and E.L.P.'s nuptial; they quite graciously invited our entire Ed '10 Class (plus a few stragglers from classes behind ours), hence... a the reunion. We mingled over cocktails on the Not So Hostel balcony, while the last of the group trickled in. At 8:00 pm, we met the Bride and Groom at Warehouse for appetizers and more spirits. I had a cocktail that seemed as though it was made specifically for me, titled Employees Only. All I remember is there was jalapeno tequila and a fruit roll-up flower inside each glass of heaven.
At midnight to the dismay of the group, I made a clean escape for bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment