Friday, October 25, 2013

Stand Up 2 Cancer

Today began rather insignificantly. It's a working Friday, so I assume thoughts of the weekend were floating through my head. In a chain of emails with D.D.M., a coworker and old neighbor, Gabriella Miller came up. Gabriella Miller, another (old) neighbor, was diagnosed with an inoperable brain tumor last November; at age 10, she's fighting cancer for her life. I hadn't heard the latest. I honestly hadn't followed Gabriella's updates too closely since last December when I participated in the Make A Wish with Gabriella campaign by writing a letter to Santa. Macy's turned these letters into dollars contributed to the Make-A-Wish Foundation.

This is the latest, heartbreaking update from Gabriella's mother:

Mark & I started our day at a cemetery looking for a burial plot for our ten year old daughter. We had to make a decision as to which funeral home we wanted to use. Our day ended with Gabriella asking us if she was going to make it. She wouldn't use the word die. We held her hands & looked her in the eyes & told her that there were no other options to help her. We had to reassure our Sweet G that she was going to be alright. That our love doesn't disappear, it goes with her. Gabriella asked us how much time she had left. With Mark & I sobbing & Gabriella hyperventilating & crying she shoves her lovey - a stuffed animal, Baby Turk from Tarzan - at me & says she wants me to have him. This is her stuffy that always makes her feel better. She wants ME to have it!

Oh, God, I HATE cancer! We, all of us, have failed our children so miserably. It is criminal that our beautiful, innocent children are going through these out-dated & tortuous treatments with such bleak outcomes. No child & parent should have the conversation that we just went through. Devastated beyond words.  

A few months back--late this spring--I fell for Gavin Rupp. Mathias Giordano, Latte Woman's son,  shared Gavin's story with me. Through early summer, I read everything I could about this Northern Virginia Cancer Warrior until the ugly disease took Gavin's life on July 30, 2013. After a three year battle. I never met Gavin and yet he inspired me. And I wasn't the only one he inspired, not even close--he was touted as "a hero" of Bryce Harper's (on his Twitter account) after they met.

And then there is my superstar--Mathias, battling osteosarcoma, and demanding the majority of my heart! Before clicking for a status on Gabriella, I stopped off to read the latest from Team Mathias. I scrolled down to a day-old post from Latte Woman.

Her stark words caught my attention:

I have entered this "cancer club" all my news feeds are cancer related,  families fighting cancer, talking chemo, radiation, clinical trials, hospital stays, surgeries, amputations, relapses, hospice, beautiful kids gaining their wings... 

This is insane. Kids should be kids! Kids should be at school, play sports and just live a carefree life. I want that for Mathias, I want that for Gabriella, I wanted that for Gavin... I want that for all the kids that are fighting. This is not fair. We need a cure and we need it now. What is wrong with our society, why are we "accepting" that childhood cancer is the number one killer of our kids? How are we ok with that and how are we not doing anything to change that NOW.


So now that I'm a sobbing mess, I'm passing some of the responsibility to you. These parent's are right--cancer is unfair; we all need to stand up. These three children of extraordinary qualities come from a first-rate community. But this is not the only community with a story; children everywhere are fighting. And each one of them deserves to be heard, to be rallied behind. 

I personally feel helpless. What can we do to make a difference in the lives of these children? In the life of each child fighting from his or her corner. I spread childhood cancer awareness through Mathias' story each chance I receive. But I can't stop there. 

I know I should do more. We should all do more. I'm consumed by this illness, almost paralyzed--scared. Gabriella and Mathias battle right through their fears. And Gavin battled through his too.  

In November of last year, I hosted a blood drive in honor of Mathias. And while the turnout was a great success, my efforts were thwarted by the Red Cross. There were so many wonderful, willing donors last year. Should we give again--through a better, more organized service--to show we believe there is hope? Because there is hope. A lot of hope. And donating blood helps save lives! Their lives. 

A few weeks back--during the furlough days--I strolled through my parents' neighborhood early one morning with Latte Woman. And while I think about her all the time, despite seeing less and less of her (after moving out of the neighborhood); the time together revived me. She is a wonderful, wonderful being. I can't speak highly enough of her, of the courage she's shown her son. She is an unstoppable force. This woman, my dear friend, spent the majority of our walk listening to my woes and worries when all I intended to do was give her my fullest attention. She wouldn't even speak of herself or Mathias until she heard my story. That's right, my story. I had updates to share, but they were trivial in comparison. I fought through my hard time, and while there are still rough days, I was pulled out of the weeds by my community. It's my turn to give to hers. 

When I realized how insignificantly today began, it made me feel awful. These children do not have--they are not allowed to have--insignificant days. They rise and fight for their lives 24/7. Through agonizing treatments, with reduced strength because of medication, these children are fighting battles we can't fight for them. We can--together--fight for a cure. And we need fight that battle now. These words are woefully insufficient. But at the end of the day, my heart wants more for these children. And I know yours does too.  

2 comments:

  1. Prayers and blessings to those brave children and their parents.
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there! I was actually just reading up on your post and had question about your blog. I was hoping you could email me back when you get the chance, thanks!

    Emily

    ReplyDelete