Monday, October 14, 2013

Links I Like

This is called procrastination. This is called I'm losing my sanity piece-by-piece with each day the Government remains shutdown. This is called laziness. I still have unpacking to do,  I'd rather write though. I could write about my summer vacation or closing the chapter on Lesotho, but procrastinate further, I will. I would like to share with you two polar opposite but equally fascinating articles I came across on the World Wide Web. I'm by no means an internet wizard. I stick to what I know--email,  perusing the New York Times and Twitter, and blogging--and beyond this scope, family and friends alike keep me in the loop with article forwarding. This is how I ended up at BuzzFeed Sports reading about the joys of being a Kansas City Chiefs fan.

The first article: 11 Reasons You Should Start Loving the Kansas City Chiefs 

If you're not a football fan or don't have a team to pull for, this might lure you to my favorite franchise. No. 10 had me recalling fond childhood memories, while point 11 made me sigh Chiefs amongst a fan base that has weathered it all. Boyfriend fell for the Chiefs at seven--the story of Eric Berry's fear of Warpaint; he's shared the story with all ears as soon as the news broke sometime last year.

The second article: Moose Die-Off Alarms Scientists

This is an extremely sad piece of writing. It's no secret that my heart is in Montana. I absolutely love the way the animals roam freely. And while my biggest passion is for the wolves--snow-covered baby buffaloes being a close second--there is something indescribable about moose; it's a see-it-to-believe-it phenomenon. So winter ticks, brain worms, liver flukes, snails, heat, pine bark beetles, and hunters be gone. Yes, hunters. There are people obtain hunting licenses to kill moose. Would you conceive it?! I do not believe that is necessary, no not one bit. And wolves, be kind to the moose. For you know what rapidly declining populations are like.

In Minnesota, there's an ongoing study monitoring dying moose. Jim Robbins of the New York Times quotes Dr. Bulter, who leads the study, in his article, “If the heart stops beating, it sends a text message to [Dr. Butler's] phone that says, ‘I’m dead at x and y coordinates.’” It's just all so terribly tragic.

No comments:

Post a Comment