Sunday, November 8, 2009

A terrible, horrible, no good, very bad packer

I am going to go ahead and whine and complain and tell you packing was the worst part of this year long Peace Corp process. I have yet to determine why packing posed such a challenge. Was it the fact that I am a naturally light packer and usually dependent on over-packing friends (who won't be traveling) if I forget something? Not knowing how much (OF EVERYTHING) to actually take? Or was my materials-do-not-matter-mindset throwing me off? All are probably contributing factors. I thought I would include a few pictures to clue you in on the madness.   

We get to bring a 100 pounds (including carry ons), which I think is pretty generous. Someone, somewhere along the way highly encouraged bringing a backpacking backpack. Check, I own this (thanks to a friend). Purchase a L.L. Bean XL bag and along with the pack you are good (my little brain thought). Of course not! Each bag can only contain 50 pounds (only God knows why--probably stupid airlines!). Therefore it makes perfect sense that I have a XL bag with plenty of space to spare and only 82 total pounds packed... leaving 18 pounds left behind because the XL bag is maxed out at 50 pounds (and my considerably small backpacking backpack is full).

If nothing else, it was a start to my new patient lifestyle. Packing, unpacking, repacking. Repeat four times. I do not care if all Peace Corp experiences are different, surely someone could recommend a number of skirts to bring, how much toothpaste to pack, or tell me if a $100 solar charger is actually worth it. I am going to go out of my way to help the PC issue a more number friendly packing list. Making changes... it's what I do best.

After two full days I have come to the conclusion that less truly will be more in Lesotho.

1 comment:

  1. Good luck! We love you! We will miss you! Keep us posted!

    ReplyDelete