Monday, November 9, 2009

If you never ask, you'll never know!

I am a breathing violation of all things: dress code.  The Peace Corp informed me sometime ago that I would be required to wear a skirt or dress (mid calf to ankle length) everyday to work. Great, because I own so many of these!   Not to mention, avoiding the working world dress code is why I wanted to be a Park Ranger or establish a "career" in rural Africa!  I will see to it that that statement is a joke!  Despite Pops arguing that there has been numerous studies to confirm that people are more productive in professional dress, it's not for me.  And especially not for me in Africa.  I understand dressing conservatively and not offending the locals.  I am 100% on board with that.  

Ask anyone who knows me, they would tell you I am dressed up if I am not in t-shirt/long sleeve t-shirt format. I am most productive in my jeans/hoodie/chacos or running shorts/t-shirt/tennis shoes.  Comfort breeds productivity in me.  It allows to me study my plants hard, whiz in and out of meetings, get messy painting while hanging out with munchkins, and clean the house.  As long as I am not disrespectful, my traditional clothing will allow me to be the best secondary math teacher I can be. 

And we all know I like my opinion heard... we shall see who wins this war!    

No comments:

Post a Comment