Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Happy Halloween

Of course I wanted to post about Halloween on October 31, but spending time on the internet in the presence of good friends made no sense at all. Posting now. 
You would be shocked to know Halloween definitely falls at the bottom of the list when it comes to holidays worth celebrating--right next to Christmas and Birthdays. Mentioned earlier, I was visiting close friends over the Halloween weekend so there were no excuses, a costume was in order. I was going to go with my favorite idea: a ceiling fan. It's funny, it's comfortable, it's classic, it's cheap, and it's inanimate. The explanation: Write ceiling on the front of a white shirt, a name (of an athlete or yourself) on the back, along with a number... and voila! You're a ceiling fan. If you are into spending money props and want to complete the outfit, carry a pom pom or a megaphone--go Ceilings!   

This year I was not a ceiling fan. Either my friends lack the intelligence to understand the costume or they do not think it is funny. I can't understand. Instead I went as Bookface (thanks to E.J.R., a dedicated Office fan). Similar to the ceiling fan this costume is funny, cheap (copying always is), and comfortable. I got to wear a tshirt downtown(!!!) and Chacos. The costume was a huge hit. My dear friend, K.F.A. even made me a real wall to carry around! People were signing it all night. Oh to be popular!  

All other 364 four days of the year people tell me I am different and unique, so yet another year goes by where I fail to understand why if I am 'one of a kind' I can't just be myself on Halloween. I also fail to understand why I am the "only" one who seems to have firmly planted my foot down when it comes to purchasing a costume for one night, decorations for one day, or one hundred pounds of candy. Ehh... consumerism.

2 comments:

  1. That is so cool! I hope you kept your wall. It'd be so neat to hang in your basement.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hannah's Halloween Things that annoy or please her (I almost texted you this Halloween night, but decided that was ridiculous)
    1. Annoys: You are "sexy" anything. "sexy" bee, "sexy" nurse, "sexy" hamburger (yes that was our good friend Lou and her friend Kara). Next year, please all of you just go as whores.
    -sub annoyance: people should not go as food. it doesn't make any sense and it is not funny. at all.
    2. Annoys: If you have the same costume as ANYBODY else. I saw three people dt go as the guy from the Hangover with the baby in a baby pouch. You are unoriginal and cliche. I would rather you go as a "sexy" something or other
    3. Pleases: You have a really expensive, extravagant costume. I know this doesn't please you, but one it usually ensures no one else will have your costume (since you paid so much for it) and it ensures it will be really awesome. Example: saw the BurgerKing King dt. LOVED it. But you know i have a weird obsession with the King otherwise.
    4. Pleases: You didn't spend a lot of money on your costume but it looks sweet anyway because you were creative. Few examples for this one: Princess Peach from Mario Kart complete with pink go-cart (a cardboard car that she wore around her all night) and three pink balloons that floated up from her go-cart (like from when you play Versus).
    I also saw Flo from the Progressive Auto Insurance commercials. This was an especially good costume because the girl looked a lot like flow already.
    Saw at least six boys dressed as teams from legends of the Hidden Temple (they were assumingly together, so this was still original and not copying anybody) I saw the Orange Iguanas, the Purple Parrots, and the Green Geckos. They all had the gold helmets, knee and elbow pads, khaki cargo pants, real-looking shirts-I dunno it was good
    Im not telling what I went as, because it was unoriginal and totally against my Halloween rules, but Ben thought my costume idea was dumb. Next year!

    ReplyDelete