Wednesday, February 11, 2015

Jamaica: Day 5

I began this day with another cup of coffee and another flavorful omelet. Lancel, a neighbor and former caretaker of our home for the week, stopped by for coffee conversation. (He also visits to eat the rest of breakfast, when there are leftovers.) If I had to guess, I would say Lancel is 80+ in age. Our conversation ranged in topics including hurricanes, American history, his family, and his favorite television show--Deadliest Catch.
We explored Treasure Beach a bit after breakfast, stopping at the Treasure Hunt Craft Shop and to pick up more roadside fruit. Then it was time to get my suntan on. I munched on heavenly frozen peanut butter stuffed chocolate covered bananas and continued reading until late in the afternoon.
When I was finally getting "schoochy" as M.R.B. would say, Boyfriend and I took a stroll along the beach. This was my favorite part of the trip! The way the shoreline is structured is one after another small bays or coves. Just when I thought I'd found the prettiest, most gorgeous, never want to leave cove, I was stunned by the next one. This goes on and on and on as far as I've walked in both directions. Because the sun was only a few hours from setting, the colors were incredible--turquoise water, green seaweeds growing on yellow, coral-ly rocks mixed with tan sands.
I will let the pictures do the rest of the talking. 
Note: Trip HIGHlight.
The walk ended just in time for us to change clothes and head next door for sunset pictures. So clearly this day was awesome! We went to Jack Sprat for dinner afterwards. I opted for the estovietch snapper. I have zero idea what estovietch is, even after consuming my meal. Once I had enough with the bones, I moved on to the delicious jerk veggies smothering Boyfriend's mountain of crab. My meal was served with bammy, a cassava flatbread. Think a dense corn tortilla. Boyfriend opted for festival, so I proceeded to steal (more of his goodness) in exchange for the less exciting bammy. His festival were the best I've had yet.
At the ripe age of 27, I have a true appreciation for how I was raised. My parents always encouraged me to try new things. The best part of traveling, for me, is the exposure to new cuisines. As I walked to the bathroom to wash my hands after filling my tummy, I was appalled by the number of people eating french fries and chicken wings in JAMAICA. To each their own, of course. But when I'm sitting at dinner overlooking the ocean (and being consumed by mosquitoes), I certainly think seafood. And this is coming from someone who formerly went on several missions with Boss Man to track down the best french fries in Northern Virginia; I love a good fry.

Lest I fail to mention the drinks accompanying my dinner. There was a piƱa colada, strawberry banana daiquiri, and planter's punch to sip while conversing and munching.
Dinner (and drinks!) left me in a food (i.e., sleeping) coma. Another successful island day!


No comments:

Post a Comment