Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Jamaica: Day 4

I began this day with a run--the way I should begin each morning, given the amount of food I've been eating. The humidity or the hills or the slick gravel road made the run a lot tougher than it needed to be. Oh well. I came back and a rain storm rolled right in, consuming a larger part of the morning.
On this lazy day, I'll include some observations on Jamaica thus far. There is rain, lots of rain, though it's said that this has been one of the driest periods in a long time, following a rainy season that lacked the normal rain. As I'm writing this with some perspective, I can say that Day 5 is the first day I saw no rain on this vacation. The rain is wonderful. It comes in fast and hard, then migrates over the hills and dries up very quickly. There hasn't been thunder or lightning with the rains, but I'm told Jamaica can produce incredible storms. Here's to hoping.

And with this rain, comes pretty rainbows!
A rainbow over the hillside on Day 2.
The rainbow on Day 4 loomed over the ocean for sometime. 
For breakfast, the cooks were off duty, so we migrated to Smurfs for some good eats. I had a callaloo omelet, which was divine. The omelet was accompanied with a side of "dumplings"--just another way of saying festival, the doughy deliciousness I described on Day 1. The only difference being the dumplings were ball shaped as opposed to the oblong form the festivals are prepared in. Regardless, breakfast went down as a big win. I also discovered PickaPeppa Sauce--YUMMY!
We meandered back to our home base after breakfast, stopping for some roadside fruit along the way. When we made it back poolside, I don't think I left the sun for a second until it set.. and left me. I read quite a bit of my book, swam happily in the pool, and even squeezed in a brief nap.

For lunch we munched on grilled cheese. Afterwards Boyfriend and I took a dip in the ocean, the water was very refreshing, but with the wind I didn't last too long; I'm growing wimpy with age.

It was time for another meal, while the sun set in front of me. A white fish of some sort was on the menu. The fish in Jamaica reminds me a lot of the fish served in Ghana. Each fish I've been served is incredibly bony. While the fish is delicious, it's a lot of work. The reward has always been worth the effort; it's certainly an activity meal though.
Things got rowdy after dinner with a game of tequila-infused Phase 10. I hit the sack past even my non-vacation bedtime.  

No comments:

Post a Comment