Saturday, January 7, 2012

Writing 2011

I cannot document the start of 2012--a trip to New Orleans, Louisiana--without 'officially' closing out 2011. There is something idealistic about turning the calendar, whether to a new month or year. And while I can appreciate a fresh start, it has never been necessary--who cares if it is Thursday or Monday (unless it is football Saturday!), the 15th or the 2nd of November or January, the year 2012 or 2011. Entering 2012, however, felt entirely different. And that is probably because when I reflect on 2011 it feels as if nothing happened. That is not completely accurate, but the majority of what occurred was internal--establishing routine, personal growth, regaining some sense of control--or logistical--phone calls, job applications, etc. To be cliche, I have resolutions for the upcoming year. The 'plan' might derail again... and that will be okay; I have faith in my ability to reboot. (I have said this before. I have not believed it before.) I am taking steps, this year, into the great unknown, unsure where I will end up. That is part of the excitement of living though, right?

The past year is a blur of places visited. A first and second trip to New York, New York. Two trips to Detroit, Michigan. Four trips to Raleigh, North Carolina. An uncountable number of treks to Athens, Georgia and back. Divided time between Beaufort, Charleston, Columbia, Greenville, and Pendleton while working in Clemson, South Carolina. South Dakota crossed off my '50 states before 50 years' timetable. Took advantage of the Taylorsville, Davis, and San Francisco, California offerings. Had a weeklong adventure with Grandma in Arizona. Two weeks in the Boston, Massachusetts area. More than one visit to Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. Weekend trips in Annapolis and Baltimore, Maryland. Day-trips to Columbus, Maryland; Alexandria, Virginia; Georgetown, Washington, D.C.; and Harper's Ferry, West Virginia. A reunion in Orlando, Florida. Thanksgiving in Atlanta, Georgia. There was probably a bit too much time spent in Northern Virginia.

In the haze of travel... were the intentional friendships in route. In The Hire Up--the 2011 H family Christmas letter--Dad described me as a "voracious writer and dedicated pen pal, tweeter, texter, and blogger who manages to stay in touch with friends scattered around the world." And "1$ Megabus and cross country trips in tents demonstrate [my] ability to [enjoy time with and] see the world on a minimalist budget." In this light--people and places--I recall a better year than otherwise remembered.

Still though, with open arms, I welcomed 2012. And again, right steps or wrong, I will progress in some direction this year. 

No comments:

Post a Comment