Friday, January 27, 2012

Day 17

Up at 5:00--before the birdies began their tweeting--in pitch black K.F.A. and I executed departure. It was not until the screeching of the gate I was fully awake. The noise mocking my cries--I was not ready to leave Uvita, but we had already extended our stay by a day... and now we are on more stringent deadline since our Nicaragua tickets have a date (in addition to being paid for). So we waddled the half mile to the bus stop to catch the six o´clock bus to San Isidro, arriving just in time for breakfast. Gallo pinto con huevos, anyone? We had planned to make a stop at the post office before catching the bus to San Gerardo, but the best laid plans do not always pan out. In Costa Rica a meal is meant to be enjoyed, therefore if you do not ask for your bill, it will not come. You could look at this as a lot of wasted time, or prime opportunity to allow my cafe negro (black coffee) to cool to a drinkable--not scold my mouth--temperature. During this time I wrote the two postcards I had purchased.

Next we found a bank to restock on funds before heading to the Central Market. The market revealed solely meat, so I was quite happy with our decision to dine elsewhere before this exploration. Bus number two departed at 9:30 for the hour and a half ride to Casa Mariposa (Butterfly House). There is nothing better than a music session in route to each destination with the Costa Rican backdrop, where green-ness travels for miles. At the end of the road we had an estimated kilometer walk--straight uphill with heavy packs. The temperature in the mountains, however, was significantly more welcoming than stale beach air. Somehow we still managed to show up drenched from head-to-toe... and continued on, evading cold mountains showers throughout this getaway. A tour of the hostel, a brief hammock session, and a sandwich later, we were off to The Cloudbridge Nature Reserve for hiking. The afternoon hike lead us to four distinct waterfalls along the way. The continuous up-and-down was another signal we were at the base of Chirripo Mountain, the highest peak in Central America. It was a physically exhausting hike, one though, that made you crave more.
On the way home, I stopped to scale a lime tree, capturing four, despite the doubting from my travel-mate. Fun fact: In Costa Rica limes have an orange-like appearance.
Once settled in our comfy cottage, I found a table for journaling--overlooking unbeatable views--with a cup of coffee, courtesy of the hostel while K.F.A. read. The temperature continued to drop throughout the night, ¨forcing¨ me to bundle up in my fleece. I wish I could convey how wonderful that was.
Dinner was cooked by K.F.A. while I wrapped up my thoughts. The menu for the night: a vegetable medley over couscous. And for our first dessert, K.F.A. fried a plantain and cut up a mango... that rocked. Things got really wild when post-dinner tea was offered(!!!). The rhythm of our travel has found its beat, and while I am grateful to have this much time, as we settle in this routine... I am more and more aware of each minute we have, dreading the fact this excursion too will come to an end.

No comments:

Post a Comment