Thursday, January 5, 2012

Lesotho Care Package

This package from Lesotho awaited me when I arrived home from New Orleans, Louisiana. I could hardly contain my excitement--ripping it open before I snapped a photo of the yellow, duck-taped package itself. Awhile back I sent my friends "homestretch" packages... full of American goods for the final months of service. Three of them came together to reciprocate.
Package contents:
  • Stickers: 
    • Kaiser Chiefs F.C.: One of two, and my preferred, Republic of South Africa football team. The team is based in Nasrec, Soweto--outside Johannesburg, South Africa and plays in the Premiere Soccer League. 
    • The Lesotho Flag (with a Phacks Motor Spares of Hlotse advertisement embedded on the sticker): Awesome! 
    • Peace Corps Logos: "For sticking or burning!" 
  • Seshoeshoe Bracelet: When "traditional" clothing is spoken of, it usually refers to Seshoeshoe (pronounced: se-shway-shway) fabric, the Basotho blanket (sold at an Anthropologie store near you!), and the conical Basotho hat. The British still have their fingers in the country, as the Seshoeshoe material and the Basotho blankets are manufactured in the United Kingdom for sale in Southern Africa. The Basotho do not seem to mind, as they take great pride and ownership in these pieces. Seshoeshoe fabric is the last thing most foreigners would associate with African dress--it is a stiff, heavy fabric printed in intricate designs. This fabric is usually tailored into dresses that are reminiscent of British colonial dress, with wide skirts, tight waists, and puffy sleeves. Never during my service did I see anyone wearing a Seshoeshoe bracelet, H.J.W. apparently had a ton made--I am glad there was an extra for me!
  • Mini Basotho Hat: The only locally produced item in the "traditional" dress is, however, the Basotho hat. My 'real' hat, a gift for completing training, never made it home. I actually have no use for a hat that large... so I am quite thankful for my mini replica. The functionality of this gift-- "A keychain? Hamster hat? Car rearview mirror decoration/distraction?"--was noted by J.P.B. in his 'content index.' These are all viable options. 
  • Maps (of Lesotho): Because maps are fabulous!
  • Lesotho Highlands Development Authority (LHDA) Pamphlet: For planning my next visit, duh.
  • Nik-Naks: I might have a reputation for eating multiple packs of these a day. They are laced with crack, no lie. I downed two packs the minute I opened the package. I promise these are good for you... and definitely vegan. (There are two brands... and these volunteers, knew my preference. Mad props!)
  • A Flash-drive: Filled with Famu, Gospel, and House--music we listened too on full-blast at bars and in cars. Terribly music that is terribly missed. 
  • Lesotho Chronicles: My clan of Education '10 Volunteers (Peace Corps Lesotho) are utter blog failures, I am constantly harping on them for Lesotho stories. Someone needs to document the day-to-day(!!!). The biggest surprise--J.P.B. hand-wrote a 54-page book entitled Lesotho Chronicles, Volume I filled with tales related solely to Lesotho. After having been reunited with M.E.V. and K.A.B., I am much too emotional to dive into that yet, but the idea Volume I implies there will at least be a Volume II, hooray. 
And all this time you thought Lesotho had nothing to offer America. Lesotho is accepting apologies now. The two-grand plane ticket is worth an eight-cent Nik-Naks experience.  

Thank you H.J.W. Thank you J.P.B. Thank You K.A.B. 

2 comments:

  1. Lucky duck!
    I am totally intrigued by the 54-page chronicle!
    What great friends you have; I can feel the love!
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nik-Naks!!! My favourite Namibian staple.... addictive is not an adequate description of their power

    ReplyDelete