Wednesday, June 2, 2010

What did you learn in PC?

I think I might have a problem, but that is not what I learned. What I learned is how to play a mean game of pool. Lately I have been experiencing an unhealthy addiction to this particular table game. And of course, my over the top competitive spirit is not satisfied with simply playing pool; I must win. Translation: I must play a lot. There is something that feels good about winning. In my day-to-day life I do not feel like I am ever “winning” so I seek my fill in pool.

Back in high school I had the opportunity to occasionally play with J.L.W. on her table, but she was usually bored out of her mind seeing as she could skunk me with her eyes closed. Then we became fixated on ping-pong after we both got tables for Christmas. The pool sticks were laid to rest until recently, now they have been as busy as ever.

The best part about playing pool is I am completing one of the PC goals, yet I do not feel like I am working at all. I am breaking gender stereotypes by serving as the sole female at the bar. I am making new village friends, and I am mastering Sesotho.

My game still has a long way to go. The stereotypes and my Sesotho do as well. Forget putting my finishing stipend towards grad school, I need a pool table.

No comments:

Post a Comment