Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Katse Dam Tour

In the six months at my site I have already lost track of the number of times I have visited Katse,. This past weekend was the first time I got to take a tour of the Katse Dam. Finally, it’s something I have been dying to do since I learned I was coming to Lesotho! The tour requires a private vehicle and you will be shocked to learn Peace Corps does not provide each volunteer with their own car. That would certainly ruin the experience. During the tour I learned all about the positive and negative impacts of the dam, how a dam is built, and the next four phases of the Lesotho Highlands Water Project (LHWP). The entire hour and a half was informative and entertaining. We got to go inside (!!!) and on top of the dam as well. I was 100% in my element.


After further research on my next trip to Maseru I will make my ultimate decision on whether or not I feel the LHWP is actually a good thing for this country. Right now it seems like too many people where displaced (and will continue to be displaced with the next four phases) and the entire future of this country has been mortgaged to South Africa. But what do my opinions matter anyways?

It’s always fun to be a tourist in your hometown!

No comments:

Post a Comment