Saturday, June 26, 2010

The Dirty South

It’s finally time to socialize now that school has come to an end. Another lesson I have learned while teaching: teachers earn their breaks! To kick off the winter holiday my friend J.P.B. came to stay for a week. Next I was off to Quthing to spend time with two of my favorite volunteers! The two day trek for a three day stay was worth every second and penny. I made it just in time to catch the last USA game of the group rounds. We won in extra time in what might be described as one of the greatest sporting moments in my life. Then we (well they) cooked a hearty meal, we enjoyed terrible wine (not the taste, the effect, of course, kidding the company was the soul enjoyment on this bitter cold winter night), and chatted the night away. Thursday I got a tour of the school A.J.S. teaches at and a tour of another volunteers house nearby. It is amazing how different each volunteer house is (both of their houses have running water, one has a geyser). When they took me to the local scone shop I had to ask if I was in America. My question was answered when the “bakery” only had one of eight items on the menu.

In the afternoon K.A.B. and I headed to her place in Mohales Hoek. She is isolated. It is one thing for her to say and another thing to witness. No bar, neighbors (she is on a school compound), post office (although those are only in the camptowns, lucky me), soccer field, or shops. I like to pretend I would be able to handle that, instead I will admit I am much more of a city girl (or camptown girl in this instance). We relaxed at her site and continued to catch up on our three months apart. Friday night we taught her students how to make smores. They indulged in gooey goodness while I took advantage of the warmth of the fire. At one point I got a little too close managing to catch my shirt on fire.

On Saturday we were up early to head to Maseru to meet some friends for lunch. I felt so American, out to lunch with the girls. Then I took a warm shower. Normally the shower comes before the outing, in Peace Corps it comes whenever you find one. Afterwards, K.A.B. gave me my first hair cut since I left home. For having no experience she did a good job cutting my hair. The boys cooked us dinner and we headed to the Maseru Sun (a hotel) to watch the USA play what would ultimately be their last game. The capital is so different from village life. Picture big comfy couches, the game projected on to a big white wall, and a live band performing during half time. Every now and then it is nice to have a week away, more importantly to be American.

No comments:

Post a Comment