Monday, June 7, 2010

Puppyville

I returned home from a fabulous weekend in Katse to one skinny mama and nine adorable puppies. My family insists they are not going to make it through the winter but I am trying to stay optimistic, already having named four of the nine (Ace, Diego, Maluti, and Oz). It has been really hard not having my sick kick accompany me to school, the shop, and the homes of other volunteers. Harder than not having her company is convincing her to stay home and take care of her young. She’s a terrible mother as she is willing to leaving the yelping helpless fur balls for a walk to town! My commute has substantially increased in time to each destination; having to explain to each villager Spads is at home feeding her new puppies. I thought nine was a large litter until I realized that everyone in the camptown wants one. I mean who wouldn’t; they all know what an amazing dog she is! I am not parting with any (not that they are mine to part with), at least anytime soon.
After my weekend away there were also eight new piglets and one baby calf. Unfortunately all eight piglets died a few days later before I could photograph them.

*Updated June 21, 2010: Two weeks and two snowstorms later I am happy to report all nine puppies are still alive!

No comments:

Post a Comment