Saturday, May 22, 2010

The rest of my life

This life is great (although you might not define life as “great” after the last three posts), nevertheless my job here is not permanent. Perhaps these two years of life/job might be a bridge to grad school, a potential job, or simply change who I am (hopefully for the better)? For several years I have known I am decent with children. I have this ability to bond with them that I have been in denial about, till I got here. My “ability” became even more apparent listening to other volunteers continuously complain about how annoying the children of Lesotho are. We all have our complaints, the children are the last thing I would complain about. It's definitely frustrating to constantly be asked for money and candy, their children though, children who have been brainwashed to think all white people come carrying money and candy. All they need is five seconds of your time and a lot of your love. In my opinion they are innocent.

Children demand a ton of patience and even more energy. At the same time they are always offering new perspectives on everything. They are adorable curious sponges for knowledge who love laughing and making total fools of themselves. Each one of them touches me in a different way, from I.J.S. (the all boy, lets dig for worms to feed to turtles a two mile bike ride from home, bundle of energy) to A.L.R.L. (the all girl, brush the sand off my feet before I get in the car, knows exactly what she wants).

Before I left America I was dead set on the public health side of environmental engineering and not having children of my own. Well I am still dead set on not having children of my own. Why? Having my own children will most definitely ruin children for me. I like the fun part—the chasing each other in circles for hours, the laughing until you wet your pants, the cuddle up and read a book. I am getting off track, big surprise. Onwards. Environmental engineering plus no children of my own will mean little to no children in my life on a regular basis, and I need at least one dose of child a day. Thursday was a sign, a blaringly obvious sign that I am supposed to work with children in some way, shape, or form. I realize I change my mind like every day but the rest of my life is a mega deal, not a decision someone who likes to be spontaneous can make over night… or over the course of four college years.

The way I see it pediatric nursing is the career for me. The pros: no sitting behind a desk, no five day work weeks, lots of travel, a regular dose of child, I will be able to live comfortably, and John Hopkins has an accelerated nursing program through Peace Corps Partnerships. The cons: blood and I without a doubt do not get along (BUT because children and I get along so well maybe I can tackle this tiny obstacle) and I unquestionably do not want to go to John Hopkins (I was thinking more along the lines of Wisconsin or Oregon, of course, I could spend two years at John Hopkins in Baltimore, close to my parents and then go live real life in Wisconsin or Oregon).

I’ll let you know tomorrows plans, well tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment