Sunday, May 23, 2010

Little Leo

As long as the mice continue to reside in my hut I will be sure to update you on our ever so tense relationship. The cat finally arrived, only he/she (I haven’t checked the sex as he/she is a pain to catch) isn’t quite a cat yet. In typical Basotho fashion Leo was taken from his/her mother far too early. His/her current size rivals that of my mice, and it doesn’t help that he/she is severely outnumbered. Leo and I are on the same terms I am with the mice. He/she has been around for a week but has only spent a total of two nights ridding my hut of mice. That does not make any sense to those of you who have been anxiously awaiting Leo’s arrival.

Here is why: On night one everything went according to plan, or so I thought. I slept and I am not sure what Leo did. If he/she did nothing his/her scent at least kept the mice to a minimum. Rise, shine, and itch. My back and legs were on fire. Bed bugs? You can’t be serious, it’s winter and I have had about all I can take in the houseguest department. Turns out, Leo has fleas which in turn meant I had fleas, or flea bites anyways. Mice win.

A week and a bath later I welcomed Leo back into my hut for round two. If kittens could talk Leo probably would have been upfront with me and politely declined my invitation to stay the night. He/she cried the entire night; there was not a second of silence at any point during the night. At about two I wanted to let her out, but that was not an option because Ma-ta-ta patrols the compound at night leaving no safe haven for Leo. Mice win.

These mice may be winning all the battles. They will not win the war.

No comments:

Post a Comment