Tuesday, January 5, 2010

T.I.A.

I never imagine it would be New Years Eve before my first official blog post. Instead of attempting to describe every aspect of my life here I am going to clue you in on a few of my favorite moments. The Basotho have extremely juvenile minds yet they deal with some of the most mature issues. Deal might be an overstatement, suppress more accurately describes how issues are handled. For example, my 23 year old sister, Mathope, from my community based training (CBT) family insisted we sang a song that remains title-less (as not to ruin the song) where you literally repeat the same line as many times as you want, usually upwards of 40 in the case of Mathope and me.

The song:

I want to see the butterfly
I want to see the butterfly
I want to see the butterfly, the butterfly, the butterfly.
Na ke rata ho bona serurubella,
Na ke rata ho bona serurubelle,
Na ke rata ho bona serurubelle, serurubelle, serurubelle.


When other volunteers or Basotho neighbors came over to visit we performed. We sang as we cooked, as we cleaned, and as we practiced Sesotho. Now most of you know how wonderful my voice is, potentially the next American Idol. Here my voice is appreciated and worshiped! Oh and they think I am fabulous dancer. Just wait until you see the new moves I have picked up. I can’t begin to explain to you how happy it made my sister when I sang with her. Overall she was probably the most joyful person I have ever come across, still this is like nothing I can explain. I wish I had a recording!

Thank you so much for your continued support. Please write letters as that seems to be the most effective form of communication at least until Easter.

1 comment: