Thursday, January 21, 2010

Reverse Psychology

Lesotho is having the opposite effect on me. I mentioned in my last post I was extremely aware of my water usage here, keeping it to about 30 liters a week for all the “water chores.” Aware is probably the wrong word. In America, I was aware. Remember the girl who showered every other day and kept them to four minutes or less? Say goodbye, she is gone. Granted my water usage here is more of a laze issue. Water is super heavy and the pumps are most frequently dry, so forget it… my dishes, clothes, and I can go dirty. But you just wait till I get home; I am showering EACH AND EVERYDAY until the water runs out.

And the cheap girl, the one who collected pennies on the side of the road. Say goodbye, she is gone too. When I get home I am spending every penny in that bank account because by golly budgeting for $2.94 a week is rough. Plus, it does not go far. What really is the point of saving? There is time for that later. If I have learned anything from this country so far it is live everyday like it is your last. Better get to spending.

The health nut? Unfortunately, she has to stick around for the next two years. However, I can promise you after 13 straight days of zucchini and onions for dinner… and what like two years to go? Forget it, she will be gone too! I will come home, and I will sit in my parent’s (love you) kitchen waiting to be served fourth servings of baked ziti and homemade macaroni and cheese! Hand over the [BAG of] chips and [PLATE of] cookies. The Basotho do not know what they are missing, eating the same thing every single day.

The save the world, R.D.S. there is no need to drive the half mile to my house, girl. Recycle this, recycle that. Well, part of her might be left. She will have just spent the last 27 months BURNING(!!!) her trash. Though, I warn you: clear the roads, I am driving the first car I can get my hands! I might even become a taxi driver.

No comments:

Post a Comment