Friday, October 17, 2014

What Came Out of My Kitchen

I'm going through a phase of exhaustion. I'm not here to point fingers at the marathon or anything, but I desperately need to get myself back in the kitchen on a regular basis. I'm just lacking motivation and creativity and care and everything else that might include cooking regular meals again to do so. When the wave of motivation does hit, I run with it full force. And though I'm not going to say today was one of those days--I wasn't totally motivated--I had enough to carry me through what I needed to finish. This started with going grocery shopping at Costco, Giant, Target, and Whole Foods before even stepping foot in my kitchen. Do away with me now. I may have found a place for myself in the kitchen, but I still hate grocery shopping with every part of my being. Approximately $300 later, I found myself whipping up a variety of things.

Mexican-Style Brown Rice Casserole. This has become somewhat of a staple in our home, after the recommendation of a coworker. I actually froze this dish for a later date in time. Because, again, exhaustion. Chef's Notes: I don't believe in the fat free or low fat this and that; I substitute those items with the full fat equivalent. I also make my own refried beans using the black beans I crockpot on a near weekly basis. Though canned refried beans are smooth and wonderful, I only enjoy them when my mom hides the sliminess that sends those bean sliding right out of the can. Nasty.
Pumpkin Butter. My mom introduced me to Oh She Glows during my wannabe vegan days. I've followed this blog for years now, and I've never been let down. That being said, the pumpkin butter might be the best thing I've made to date. I've added it to oatmeal. I've slathered apples in it. I've made Pumpkin Oat Squares with Candied Pecans (from Angela's blog as well). This goodness is what heaven must taste like. Chef's Notes: This recipe is rather time consuming when roasting the sugar pumpkin(s) is factored in. On the upside, I learned how to roast a sugar pumpkin... and I'm looking forward to trying a "from scratch" pumpkin pie here soon.
Apple Rutabaga Soup. Who doesn't like a million fall vegetables tossed in a pot with butter? Also, a recipe that uses one of the thousands of apples I picked that is not a dessert? This recipe was provided by another coworker. And I knew it'd be delicious after I learned the recipe came from The Inn at Little Washington. This restaurant is continually rated among the best "in" Washington, D.C. In being in quotes because it's quite a ways outside of the city. It's also quite a ways from my paycheck, if you're curious. Chef's Notes: I cut the cream in half. And next time I would consider further reducing the amount by another half (i.e., half of a cup instead of the suggested two cups).
Apple Pie. This pie is no product of my own; it's the most beautiful pie I've laid eyes on. I imagine much effort and patience behind this work of art, which has never been my cup of kitchen tea. Chef's Note: This pie was crafted entirely from scratch in our kitchen with apples picked by us, per my insistence; ya, we're crunchy. I have no idea what recipe was used and therefore cannot provide notes, regardless of my repeated requests (to Boyfriend). An equally tasty, though not nearly as pretty, pie can be found at mine (and Barack Obama's) favorite stop in Northern Virginia--Mom's Apple Pie, for those local to the area.
Vegetable Lasagna. Are you familiar with Cooks Illustrated? If not, it's time you are. Their vegetable lasagna is the best on the planet, despite the amount of work required to whip it up. Also, this recipe does away with ricotta in favor of cottage cheese. That alone makes me obsessed. (I absolutely hate ricotta and am addicted to cottage cheese.) Chef's Note: I mentioned this is a product that requires work, however, the rewards are endless. This lasagna served us twelve sizable meals--away with portion control. When the labor is divided across the number of meals, we have an equation that isn't terrible. This is a definite Sunday activity where I don't feel rushed to immediately follow up with the insane amount of dishes produced by this dish. (That part of the equation is not--I repeat: not--pretty.) By serving this on Sunday night, I've littered the rest of the week with leftover lunch and dinner.
Let's eat.

No comments:

Post a Comment