Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Free Conundrum

A few weeks ago, Boyfriend and I cleaned out our kitchen. We took every single item off every single shelf, assessed our needs, and cleaned each counter and cupboard before placing items back in a more organized manner. The satisfaction of completing this task, even though it should have been done three months prior, is indescribable. While we buy within our means—and don’t get sucked into too many deals—we certainly end up with excess of some items (e.g., canned tomatoes, flour, Gatorade, etc.) that are not easily stored in a 700 square foot apartment. The biggest culprit is our Costco membership, though we've deemed the bulk shopping savings are worth it. Before The Cleanse we had 'mini pantries' scattered throughout the apartment; I could not survive that way for another second.

The second issue is my willingness to accept anything and everything I come across that is of the "free" variety. Free juice at the blood drive, I’ll take three. Free water bottle at the Toast to Tap event, a 40th Anniversary Celebration for the Safe Drinking Water Act, sure, why not!

(Those who know me, know I only use my liter-sized Nalgene ever. I also have have millions of other previously gifted water bottles stored in a lowly bottom cabinet.)

(Or I did before The Cleanse.)

And it’s not just free food and goodies I accept. At the Washington Nationals Blood Drive, we were given two tickets to a Nationals game. When that day came, I was exhausted, but I also knew it was likely my last chance to see the Nationals for the year. So despite those factors and a poor forecast to boot, I started walking to the game after work. Being the forecast was poor, the game was called minutes before the start and I was able to go home, eat a nice meal, and catch up on some zzz’s. The tickets were free, yet I couldn’t imagine letting them go to waste. I had to be there… and had to make sure I had fun… just because. Just because why? 
In early October, again, we had free tickets to the DC United/Sporting KC game. And I actually really wanted to go. My coworker gave me these tickets in July, and now that Pop's employer is no longer a sponsor, this was my only (free) opportunity to catch a game this season. After staying up way too late on Monday watching the Kansas City Chiefs and even later on Tuesday watching the Kansas City Royals, by the time Friday rolled around, I was beat. I was recently reassigned to a large effort at work, as opposed to my usual sitting around twiddling my thumbs. It’s shocking how much more exhausting work is when I'm "on." Further, it was colder than I had prepared for, with yet another chance of rain. Provided the exhaustion, dinner at Five Guys and an early evening seemed ideal. I ultimately ended up bailing on the game. And crashing in bed, with the television volume high, in case of any exciting action in the world of Post Season. It could have been an all-out celebration of Kansas City—Chiefs, Royals, and Sporting KC, however, DC United came away with the win, clinching their spot in the playoffs. And I (sadly?) can’t name a single United or Sporting KC player, so I think it’s safe to say, the world went on without my being there.

I’m getting better at saying no and avoiding free stuff, there were several accomplishments on that front. For example, the other night I avoided free cups, magnets, and shirts at a Light The Night fundraiser. We're talking b-a-b-y steps that feel like B-I-G steps. After all, I’m 27 with a decent job. I can afford juice, cookies, water bottles, hats, shirts, on-and-on; I can afford more than what I need.

Say no to free-ness. Just Say No. When I think of my uncluttered living space, it'll all be worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment