Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Thank You So, So Much

By this time, due to the shared efforts of social media, my fan base, and myself--who understandably proud, did some of my own bragging--the world knows that I completed the Chicago Marathon on Sunday. This accomplishment would not have been possible without the support of so, so many.

Thank you to my parents for traveling to Chicago, Illinois to cheer me on at four separate miles--2, 13, 17, and 26--along the course, completing their own marathon of sorts. An additional thanks to them for all the meals they provided to fuel me before and after the race. Thank you to C.D.H. for riding a bus from Atlanta, Georgia to surprise me! I'm not one for surprises, but this one--oh man, it meant a lot. Further thanks to him for breaking down the marathon with me on at least three different occasions. And lest I forget my youngest brother, the fastest H as far as 5Ks are concerned; he sent me a wonderfully encouraging text the night before the longest race of my life. For him, I'm thankful.

To H.M.M. for being at mile 7, when her out of town family was in town, and screaming for the nine seconds I spent running past. Thanks for providing the burst I needed. To Boyfriend's parents for using the Runner Tracker feature to track me during the race--for caring because I cared. To J.L.W. for always thinking I can, for knowing I could, and for responding to my texts of agony with understanding. To R.D.S. for sending a timely card right before the race. And repeatedly asking about training throughout the course of the year. To A.J.S. and S.D.G. for dealing with an exhausted, moody friend and accepting "Sober S.M.H." into their lives. To K.A.B. for listening with intent as I spewed running jargon over multiple weekend stays. To K.S.D. for pulling me out of the apartment for timely calorie-dense meals when the stress of training turned me hermit-esque. To S.K.H. for the Instagram well wishes and for playing the role of "cousin" so well. To Sweet Neighbor for sending me a bazillion emojis to lighten the intensity of the experience. To K.F.A. for letting me know I was in the "speedster" coral, which was actually more terrifying than helpful. Thanks, K.F.A., thanks a whole bunch.

Before Boyfriend, a final thank you to M.E.K. for encouraging me to enter the Chicago Marathon Lottery and, after winning said lottery, later assuring me I could run 26.2 miles regardless of how impossible that sounded way back (in January) when I was barely running at all--during the marathon winter.

And last but not least, Boyfriend, thanks for doing all of the above on repeat. Since March. It should be noted, Boyfriend has zero interest for running, participating in sports (outside of downhill skiing, ugh), or the thrill of a good sweat. Yet he managed to manage me during several long months of marathon training, which rest assured was no easy feat.

Thank you all--and so, so many more--for caring so, so much about my race. There is no way I would have made it to the finish line without all of you; this much is true.

I'll continue to speak miles and paces and training until Boston because I QUALIFIED. Y'all will be around in April 2016, right?

1 comment:

  1. We are soo proud of you Sammy! And we can't wait to cheer for you on the sidelines in Boston 2016!!!

    We hope you weary legs & muscles are returning back to normal.

    xoxo M&T

    ReplyDelete