Monday, August 18, 2014

An August Weekend

Let’s talk weekend, my very favorite subject of all. There were 10 things, or maybe 8 – I'll type them all out and see just how many things there were – worth sharing.
  1. Boyfriend and I began my three day weekend with Stuffed Zucchini Enchilada Boats and ice cream at Larry’s Homemade Ice Cream. I then enjoyed my second Friday off of the second AWS cycle. The schedule is not all it’s cracked up to be but I do enjoy my freedom Fridays, as I refer to them. I spent the entire morning cooking – a triple batch of granola and Fresh Corn Salad before heading out to the ‘burbs.
  2. I met my youngest brother for a coffee date at The Bucks. We chatted this (music and running) and that (school and work), until the panic of his unpreparedness set in; he was Richmond-bound for his sophomore year of college the very next day.
  3. Friday night I attended Sweet Neighbor’s housewarming party. There was so much food goodness, I tried to behave. There were also cocktails galore.
  4. The Braves beat the Oakland Athletics’, who came to Atlanta with the best record in baseball in the first, second, and third game of their three-game series. After Sunday, when the Braves were finished sweeping the A’s, they – the A’s – no longer held that record. Hooray! (Note: This win streak would be much more impressive, if the Washington Nationals were not on a tear of their own.)
  5. Mom and I went to the Farmers’ Market on Saturday. She bought white peaches and yellow tomatoes and other things. I would have bought the most beautiful zucchinis ever had I not left my wallet at home. I was treated me to Pain au Chocolat from Bread House, Inc., forever reminding me of A.L.R.L., who introduced me to such goodness at The Village Bakery & Café at the ripe old age of two. This also reminded me that the no longer little A.L.R.L. will celebrate her ninth birthday in three days. Oh my aging!
  6. I managed to find time to cuddle up with Louis for a nap on Saturday. Pure joy!
  7. I ran 18.2 miles on Sunday. That is the farthest I have ever run in my life. In.My.Life. I have eight weeks to add an additional eight miles to that number and I should be good to go in October. Except, major except, I felt like death the last mile and for about three hours afterwards. This marathoning is no joke.
  8. There was lots of deck time over the weekend – morning coffee and stretching; phone calls (with the recently engaged J.L.W. and my nowfamous brother) throughout the day; and dinner on Saturday night.
  9. Folks, the banana boat is back in business! My ever handy boyfriend built a rack for the current ride. And it held like a champion. We paddled from White Ford Regional Park to the Monocacy Aqueduct on the Cheasapeake & Ohio Canal and leisurely floated back down the river, cleaning up the Potomac River along the way. In route home, we stopped at Temple Hall Farm Regional Park to admire the sunflowers – gorgeous!
  10. Two years ago Sunday, Boyfriend visited me for the first time after his motorcycling around Southern Africa. How did we celebrate the time? Five Guys, obviously.
So it was a pretty good weekend, filled with pretty good people and puppies. (And another engagement!) 

1 comment:

  1. Aww, I'm so touched that you thought of Alice when you ate your pain au chocolat!! She is now officially 9, so hard to believe. And happy very belated birthday to you! I'm almost as shocked that you are already 27. We miss you and hope to talk soon. Are you and Parker coming down again for a game this fall??

    ReplyDelete