Sunday, August 10, 2014

Pure Michigan

In mid-July, I joined my parents on a trip to Michigan. Pure Michigan, if you’ve seen the commercials. We left early on a Friday morning, stopping for coffee and lunch along the way. Upon arrival at our hotel, Pops and I napped while Mom busied herself. We later headed to Comerica Park for a Detroit Tigers game. They had a rather pathetic showing, namely a rattling seventh inning. The rest of their four game series--the length of our trip--followed suit. I felt slightly better about the state of the Atlanta Braves' bullpen after witnessing the horror in Detroit. (Note: Time has since passed and the Tigers have not resumed their winning ways.) When the British Open was not playing, baseball was. I was thankful the Tigers had a double header on Saturday (plus a Sunday afternoon game), for it gave us something to watch as we spent the time with my grandparents. And because golf, snooze.
I wasn’t sure if I was more excited for Bagel Factory or to see my grandparents. I'm joking, of course. The bagels did not disappoint--they never do, and were enjoyed each morning of our stint in Michigan. We also had coffee, fancy coffee some days, to accompany bagel goodness. The only problem with this design was Grandma and Grandpa were as thrilled to feed us as they were see us, often making plans for lunch moments after our morning arrival. Food is love.

The getaway was all-in-all successful. I was (finally) able to see where my grandparents are living. My grandma and grandpa made the moved to assisted living some time ago, and I haven't been to visit since prior to that time. Grandpa gave me an extensive tour of their digs. And while we were touring, every single person stopped to ask him how my grandma was doing. It truly was heartwarming. There was not a single person that passed my grandpa did not know by name (as well they seemed to recognize him). He appeared to be an 'on duty' senior caretaker, often directing elders to their respective locations. He describes the place as jail and jokes, rather darkly, their ‘next move’ is to the cemetery across the street. And while I understand the need to vent, he seems to be well-adjusted to his not so new surroundings.
In addition, I was able to meet one of my grandmother's caretakers, who was absolutely wonderful. My great aunts, whom I absolutely adore, also stopped in for a visit. And their visit was immediately followed by my aunt, uncle, cousins, and one of their kids popping in. So I (met and) saw lots of people on this last-minute, quick trip.
I did not intend to write, as much as I intended to upload pictures for this post. And while I have provided an overall recap of the trip, it doesn't actually recount the emotion of this journey. I needed a break from work. My grandparents are always requesting visitors. I have wanted to see how and where they are living. My parents had plans to travel. It made sense to join. Though my grandparents are growing older--Grandma will turn 91 and Grandpa will be 90 in September, they are doing much better than they have been in awhile. So they can hate on their new home as much as they would like, their quality of life has increased (through my eyes). I can, rather selfishly, worry less. Beyond that, I don’t know. I don’t really have the words for the emotions I feel. I guess I just feel lucky to still have my grandparents in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment