Friday, December 14, 2012

Remembering December, Week 2


December 8 -
  • I could not motivate myself to do anything. Not a single thing... until about 2:30 pm when I decided taking a four hour walk from Arlington to Georgetown to the National Mall with a friend was a good idea. Apparently not seeing her for a week, merited this much talking time. Another weekend day with perfect weather drew quite a crowd to our end destination--the National Tree
  • I crashed at 9 pm.
December 9 -
  • I woke up after 12 solid hours of sleep, at 9 am. Bliss. And I thought I had lost my sleep-in powers.
  • I met A.J.S. and her co-workers for a pancake breakfast at the Eastern Market. It was not until I stood up that I realized how much I had over-consumed. This "decision" to join the clean plate club was worth every bit of the hatred my stomach imposed on me.  
  • I walked the seven miles home. This was my third extended walk of December. I anticipate many more to come. Not only am I learning the city (and taking cheesy pictures along the way), I am getting "exercise" and "outdoor" time. 
December 10 -
  • It rained, again, for the bajillionith time this falinter. (Falinter, noun:  the conjoined season of fall and winter, comprising in the greater Washington, D.C. area the months of September, October, November, December, January, and February.)
  • This was a slow day at work. P-A-I-N-F-U-L-L-Y slow.
  • I received a message from Santa, courtesy of his elf, R.D.S. It was definitely the greatest thing that happened all day. If you have not experienced Portable North Pole, I highly suggest you proceed there immediately once you are done here.
December 11 -
  • Boss Man has 904 business cards. Today I collected my eighth for sake of comparison. He "neatly stacks" them in a drawer, the one above the 4207 Starbucks napkins, in his desk. And he absolutely will not let me alphabetize them for him they way I have my own contacts. It hurts my sole to go in his office, knowing those disorganized cards are lurking beneath the surface. 
  • In other news, my fancy business meeting today--the one where I collected business cards seven and eight--was all about cabling. And you thought this girl just did science, now she speaks beginner tech!
December 12 -
  • I received a Christmas card (with picture) from K.K.S. and her adorable brood. I am such an adult. 
  • M.E.V. sent me a coffee mug for my birthday. My birthday is many, many months away so this  was quite a surprise. A pleasant one at that.  
  • I stayed up late to pick my favorite person up at the airport.
December 13 -
  • I worked. Gee, imagine that. On a Thursday, I worked. I got to work from home. And that was great. So great. Except the part where I had to work.
  • Since the weather remains mildly cold, J.P.B. and I were able to walk to Guajillo--a Mexican dining establishment--to meet M.E.K., her husband, and brother-in-law for a late dinner. There were many fabulous parts of this night: 1) Walking to and from dinner. 2) Delicious food. 3) Experiencing a new local restaurant, for the fourth time this month. 4) Ample "catch-up" time with the M.E.K. 
  • As J.P.B. and I nursed our food comas, we watched Elf, my favorite holiday movie, to celebrate the season.
December 14 -
  • Another work from home day. Another day of analyzing a mega huge scanned document.
  • Before the end of the day, most everyone had learned of the shootings at Sandy Hook Elementary. Unspeakable emotions coursed through my mind as I tried to comprehend the reality that children were murdered at school. 
  • I squeezed in a quick nap post exercising my brain. 
  • The highlight: Of Montreal played at the 9:30 Club... and I was there. So... after years of waiting... I have FINALLY seen Of Montreal. It was every bit of weird excellence I was hoping for, and more.  
  • After the show, I got a few minutes with my little brother, C.A.H. since he was also in attendance. He happens to find Of Montreal every bit as great as I do. He also might be responsible for introducing me to this band. 

1 comment:

  1. That tree is stunning!

    Falinter! haha I will definitely be using that term in the future!

    I am intrigued at what surprises may be waiting for me at the Portable North Pole so I AM going there right now!

    And.... I am glad you got to see your favorite band in concert but.... I am a little frightened by the clowns and skulls!

    I hope the your last 10 days of December and 2012 are merry & bright!

    Merry Christmas & Happy New year Sammy!!!!

    xo Meredith

    ReplyDelete