Friday, December 7, 2012

Remembering December, Week 1

December 1 -
  • The day started early, or rather the previous day ended late, with conversation in my freezing cold car... in the gravel parking lot... right outside my apartment. M.E.K.'s September wedding weekend came and went in one quick (undocumented--in picture and word) flash. Therefore I held her hostage in my car until I heard every detail of the first two plus months of married life. Prior to this conversation we met H.M.O., a mutual childhood friend, for had dinner at Domku in Washington, D.C. The time--10 years--has changed each one of us, and the places I have lived--distanced from their "stable" Kansas upbringings--have influenced the young women we are today (hopefully for the best), and yet, over dinner and a bottle of wine, none of this seemed to matter. The conversation was reminiscent and fresh, news of here and now. At the end of emotionally "complex" week, I am glad I chose to invest my time with these girls, the pillars of my early life. 

  • I got a hair cut. At Hair Cuttery. And for the first time in my life, I did not regret not investing in a quality trim.
  • R.D.S. and I dined at Ray's Hell Burger for lunch to start the season of eating. 
  • I went to the Parade of Lighted Boats with friends in D.C. This was a festive event, complete with fake snow, Santa Claus, a bonfire, holiday music... and of course, boats decked out in lights.
  • And in lieu of dinner, I stopped at Burger Tap & Shake--the second burger shop in one day--for milkshakes. 

December 2 -
  • R.D.S., visiting from New York, New York, and I began the day at Target. Overnight, I went from thief (in that I stole from home) to adult by purchasing my own cleaning supplies(!!!). R.D.S. does not have the luxury of Tarjay in the Big Apple; she was more than happy to accompany me on this excursion, in fact she suggested the trip. 
  • I had the best egg and mushroom breakfast sandwich of my life at Northside Social. The pumpkin cranberry cinnamon roll "side" was mega delicious too... honestly, who does not want dessert with breakfast?   
  • We went to the White House. There were no outdoor holiday decorations. That was disappointing. We took our picture anyway. 
  • I walked home from Union Station. I cannot express how much more than eight miles of alone time I could have used before rejoining reality. The weather this weekend was beyond perfection, that is, if you are more in to avoiding the Christmas spirit and soaking up Vitamin D. 
  • I spent two (or maybe three?) hours on the phone with J.L.W. and was quickly reminded as to why she has been a constant in my life for the past 10 years.
December 3 -
  • I spent the evening with my ex-neighbor munchkins. It might have been a 14-hour work day in total, when you include my salaried job... but the night was hardly work. Time flew off the clock as C.R.M., O.D.M., and I busied ourselves playing puppy, baby, princess, pirate, and monster. A timely dinner was neglected, and later, I had to convince myself of the importance of their bedtime. (These two children were not my "issue" come Tuesday!) The best part of the night was nonstop laughter. Their one-liners had me struggling to breathe at points. 
December 4 -
  • My phone was dead... all day. And it was G-R-E-A-T. I should lose my charger more frequently... and for even greater periods of time. 
December 5 -
  • I went for a run. It poured rain on me midway through. I was totally prepared. Not. So that was fun. Not. BUT... on my run, I did happen upon a discovery: Jimmy Johns... in Arlington... three tenths of a mile from my house. There is really nothing more dangerous.
  • My boss and I had an offsite "meeting" to tag-up on just about everything.  
  • I went (to my parent's) home to catch up with my mom. I had her entirely to myself. And it was absolutely exellent to sit by the fire and catch up on... well... just about everything.
December 6 -
  • M had his first (of two) lung surgery at Sloan-Kettering. I spent the entire day worrying about him! 
December 7 -
  • I convinced myself that going to the mall to pick up a few things on a Friday after work was a good idea. It was an absolutely horrendous idea. 

No comments:

Post a Comment