Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Beautifully Rotten Food

I intended to spend a significant amount more time writing following my trip to Central America. Then life sort of swept me up in a tornado of March madness. Or maybe it is because of this trip to Central America I got distracted?

In the goings of the past month plus, I have had a couple of afternoons on the deck reading, engrossed in my flavor of the week. I could and would like to write a book review, or nine, however, I will save that for when my writing is thriving. When my head in not stuck in a book, I resort to my inbox filled with articles on wedding ideas to the mountain lions of Northern California to Spring Training (Notice I transitioned smoothly into baseball instead of addressing the demise of the Kansas Jayhawks to the Kentucky Wildcats of all teams.) to world aid for reading... never knowing what to expect. Tonight, I want to share a really great piece titled "Beautifully Rotten Food" recommended by a friend, an avid reader of The Huffington Post's Food Section. This article sheds light on food waste in a unique manner--Austrian artist Klaus Pichler uses still life photography to capture food far past the expiration date.  

And since I have exhausted myself encouraging others to buy local, buy quantities you can eat, clean your plate at meals, and never leave those leftovers untouched... these images "accompanied by statistics regarding the food's origin, time of harvest, means of transportation, distance traveled and its carbon footprint" might be all the motivation you need to help reduce food waste. If you are not too squeamish, I highly recommend checking this out.

No comments:

Post a Comment