Sunday, April 22, 2012

Earth and Birth Day

"The earth has a skin and that skin has diseases, one of its diseases is called man." (Friedrich Nietzsche)

I thought I would start by making you aware of the significance of today with an uplifting quote.

Retry: Happiest of Earth Days--to you and yours! This is like the best day of the year, a day to totally embrace our dying planet. A day that passes with so little recognition, this nature Nerd (yes, that is "nerd" with capital "N") almost forgets to celebrate. I often--as was the case this year--get too caught up commemorating the birth of my no longer little brother, born 23 years ago today. Yep, after 19 previous Earth Day events, my parents decided upping the population was the way to go as far as celebrating was concerned. They quickly planted a tree to offset his carbon footprint--even in the late 1980s, those two were aware of the impact C.D.H. would have on this planet. You are uplifted, right?

Final try: Happy Earth Day--to the Earth Day babies. C.D.H., please know on April 22, in honor of you, I repeatedly (year after year) neglect the earth to sing your birthday praises. That way you get ONE FULL DAY of attention... and I feel less pitiful disregarding you the remaining 364 calendar days. Keep your eye out for the untimely and environmentally damaging card, present, and phone call--each one will arrive a wee bit later than planned. I know, I am the favorite sister.

I failed to inspire you to care, much in the way our planet is failing to capture our attention. Sad Day. 


No comments:

Post a Comment