Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Uvita, Costa Rica

The Dates: January 25-27, 2012

The Location: The minute I stepped off the bus in Uvita, Manuel Antonio was a destination of the past.  In place of traveling 'on the beaten path,' I waded through an enchanting location--removed from the weight of modern day Costa Rica. The beauty of this small hamlet was breathtaking; I am still speechless, wondering how to account for the trance I found myself in while visiting Uvita. Literally with each step I took, I paused... thinking 'wow, this is not real.' There were more birds than people on the beach, and since I love bird watching, even gulls, this was so my scene.
The Lodging: Flutterby House. This entirely outdoor hostel was a stellar 'word of mouth' recommendation by my friend, J.K.H.--currently serving as a Peace Corps Volunteer in Costa Rica. Nothing beat my tree house bedroom, a couple minutes walk from Marino Ballena National Park. The staff was friendly, and the owner has implemented a system--fresh ocean air and the canopy of mango trees for ventilation, skylights instead of lightbulbs, a biodigester to recycle waste without polluting groundwater, and chickens for pest control--to ensure visitors a sustainable stay(!!!). There was also a butterfly hatchery filled with hammocks.
This place had a good good soul. (When my Panama plans broke, this was the hostel I returned to for the finals days of the near six-week adventure.)

The Book I Read: Into Thin Air by Jon Krakauer

The Activity: Talking "Peace Corps" with volunteers. Reading in hammocks. Riding bicycles. Running past the loose straggle of farms that make up the village. Sunsets. Long beach walks. (Day 16 details the action--with pictures--in Uvita.)
This was Uvita.


No comments:

Post a Comment