Friday, June 17, 2011

Western Africa Culture

One day after I received the word of D's passing, my friends and I took a day off from outdoor activities at the Museum of Fine Arts (MFA) in Boston, Massachusetts. I am by no means a museum person, however, the experience ended up being quite reflective.

The purpose for our visit to the MFA, besides avoiding rain, was to see the Chihuly exhibit. Dale Chihuly, blind in his left eye, is the artist behind thousands of freeblown functional and sculptural glass works. If the traveling exhibit ever makes it to your area, it's phenomenal!

The museum is sectored by region--the Africa region being of most interest to me. One of the displays featured Kente cloth, native to the people of Ghana. Kente cloth is an extremely heavy, colorful material made of silk and cotton. Each color in the cloth has a symbolic meaning and the patterns vary by region (in Ghana). This cloth is scared and worn only for special occasions.

I have only traveled to four countries within Africa, though fortunately hitting three major regions. Sharing stories of traditions in Ghana (and other African nations) with friends who know very little about my time there, in light of the recent tragedy, was healing. Had D not been a part of my story, Ghana might have seemed very different. I took full advantage of this opportunity to further my own knowledge and provide insight for friends, who so patiently listen to all of my Africa ramblings.

Instead of staying in bed, ignoring this harsh world, I was able to spend time in the city honoring those in Africa who brightened my story!

No comments:

Post a Comment