Thursday, June 16, 2011

Africa (can) Suck

In retrospect, at the time of my journey, Ghana was not for me. This being said, I did my best to embrace everything Ghana had to offer for an entire month. The month I spent in Western Africa was a part of my Peace Corps experience. Through my eyes I witnessed the beautiful country of Ghana. My heart was very much aware of the abundance of the love Ghanians demonstrate for complete strangers, along with one another.

In the midst of my American travels, I was stopped in my tracks with the devastating news my Ghanian host-sister had passed away. Almost immediately upon arrival, little D informed me she had sickle cell anemia. An episode related to her condition took her life. Coming from a country that struggles with stigma, honestly discussing important issues regarding personal health, and the ability to apply concepts I was blown away by D's openness. She taught me more about her disease than any college genetics class ever did. BUT not only was her knowledge of life with sickle cell anemia passed along--she shared her culture and invited me into her life. She was one of those very special people who truly captivate their audience. They don't allow anything to hold them back; they intentionally create fulfilling lives.

The news caught me way off guard; it took everything I had not to burst into tears. Sweet D touched my life in a way no one else had. Her receptiveness and responsiveness to my unique challenge of readjusting to another new African home did not phase her. There was no time for wallowing as she filled every waking minute of my Ghana time with Yahtzee, card games, jump rope, swinging on the handmade swings, sidewalk chalk, Play-Doh, and short village walks.

Now she is physically gone--it's unfair.

1 comment:

  1. Sammy,

    So sorry to hear about D's passing.

    xo Meredith

    ReplyDelete