Monday, June 6, 2011

San Francisco

After visiting two major cities--New York City and San Francisco--this year, for the first time, I have confirmed the city lifestyle is not for me. There are many, many perks to a city, benefits you simply can't find in the suburbs or out in the country, plus environmentally speaking, city dwellers are more efficient(!!!). My reservations regarding this lifestyle include mass quantities of people everywhere and very little scenery/views (unless you are into concrete). The pace of city life is exhausting... and I am not speaking of the satisfying physical 'I just ran a marathon' exhaustion, we're talking the over-caffeinated and over-worked feeling of dread.

Hesitations aside, K.F.A. lives in the city and I value our friendship--decision made; I was off to San Francisco, California before working my way back East. I do have genuine interest in experiencing new places, despite my city bias. Who doesn't when the lodging is free?

I grew fond of San Francisco during my short stay, not enough to convert me or anything... but this city has to be one of the most progressive American cities on the map. It was easy to appreciate the unique architecture, including beach color buildings. And if you are brave enough to ascend the hills you can actually capture a nice view of the bay. The people I met seemed hip, intellectual, and more laid back when compared with my previous experiences.
Regardless of my overall positive impression of the city, the time spent with K.F.A. will be what I remember about this trip. The early morning four hour walk over the Golden Gate Bridge, cooking pancakes for old time sakes, endless deep conversation, a lazy Sunday afternoon relaxing in the park while listening to Phoenix, a delicious Thai food dinner--experiencing a routine weekend with her after nearly two years. Bliss.

Simplicity and friendship, my basic requirements.

No comments:

Post a Comment