Friday, May 30, 2014

The DC Bucket List, Part 3: Coffee

The first two parts in this three-part series extended beyond my usual self-imposed 1000-word limit, so I saved these four new coffee shop reviews for the finale. At this point, I’m honestly sick of this theme but also incredibly invested. So without further ado, I share my latest coffee ventures.

M.E. Swing Co. – This is hands-down my favorite Washington, D.C. coffee shop to date, rivaling that of my absolute beloved Stumptown Coffee Roasters (inconveniently located in California, New York, Oregon, and Washington) and Ninth Street Espresso (another New York establishment). They operate on limited hours, shame on them. It’s dark. It’s uninviting. The menu is confusing. The customers know what they want. The baristas know how to get the customers what they want. There is plenty of seating—indoor and out. The pastries are rumored to be seasonal and delicious; however, I cannot speak to that experience yet. I told myself when I started working in the city, I would frequent this place, instituting myself as a regular. I need to live out this dream.

Bathrooms? There are none, sigh. The quality of the coffee has allowed me to overlook this flaw.

Chinatown Coffee Company – This venue is neighbor to my office, making it a tempting stop when I feel rebellious towards Starbucks (i.e., The Bucks is not running a promotion.). On my first visit, my latte tasted more like milk than coffee. On all succeeding visits, the iced coffee has not been quite strong enough. In reading, please recognize my tolerance for strong is above the average consumer, thanks be to Pops. They’re touted for their espresso, which I have not tried straight up. The Baristas seem to be in a perpetual hurry, not allowing time for questions, and of the hipster variety.  Should you go? The choice is yours.

Bathrooms? They certainly aren’t responsible for my stopping in.

Sidamo – This is an Ethiopian coffee shop I visited in a pinch and then revisited by choice the very next week. They do not do iced coffee well. But I like the people behind the counter. I like the big window flooding the shop with natural light and the overall atmosphere. I also like the looks of the gigantic double chocolate chip muffins, which I have refrained from ordering both times—go me!
Bathrooms? Just clean enough to not be considered dirty.

Bourborn Coffee – This is a Rwandan coffee shop. They do iced coffee perfectly. Even more exciting, they sell a perfectly good, locally sourced sugar cookie. The free sample lured me to this discovery. And led me to do some research and learn that Bourbon Coffee is a great place, doing great things. They practice direct trade, focus on sustainability, and encourage cultural integrity… all while nailing quality. To bring the Rwandan community to yours, you can shop for art while visiting; it’s just one piece of their big puzzle! There is even outdoor seating at umbrella covered tables.
Bathrooms? Occupied during the duration of my visit. Not cool. But I’m not putting that on Bourbon, quite yet.

I’m curious… where do you coffee?

No comments:

Post a Comment