Monday, May 26, 2014

The DC Bucket List, Part 1: Activities

This is a three-parter. Go!

I have what seems to be a forever expanding Washington, D.C. Bucket List. Though I have no intention to leave this city anytime soon, my Montanan farm life is tugging at my heart and has been for some time. (I must be prepared for when the opportunity presents itself!) Recently I have had a slew of visitors here in the Mid-Atlantic, a perk to living in a city with much to offer, and as a result have made tremendous progress to shrink The List.

Here it is, with my review, of course:

Old Post Office Tower – I visited this treasure in early April, with the company of Boyfriend and his parents. This was not on our tightly scheduled weekend agenda; however, I could not resist bringing the troops in as we walked by en route to the Metro. Who knew this is considered a National Park? Bonus point, for you. I’m really glad we visited, despite M.R.B.’s adverse reaction to heights, because the Old Post Office Tower is currently being renovated… and this being DC, who knows when it will reopen.
 The at-a-glance  –
  • The purpose? 360 degree views. And spectacular they were!
  • Cost? Free.
  • Bathrooms? Present, fragrant, aging, nevertheless functional.
  • Would I recommend this to a friend? Yes.
  • Would I go back? Most definitely.
The United States National Arboretum – This was crossed off last weekend while a fellow Returned Peace Corps Volunteer was in town. We had more fun than intended (blatant lie!) on Saturday and were looking for something lazy to do on Sunday after brunch, once we realized kayaking the Potomac River was out due to flooding.
The at-a-glance  –
  • The purpose? Pretty trees and flowers. We had incredible weather, enhancing the experience that much more. In addition to natural beauty, the National Capitol Columns can be found resting in Ellipse Meadow. It’s quite an unusual landmark!
  • Cost? Free.
  • Bathrooms? Yes. But mostly out of order.
  • Would I recommend this to a friend? Yes, I already have.
  • Would I go back? Assuming none of these things change, I would certainly revisit.
The W – Drinks on a Monday afternoon, overlooking DC with friends. Yes, please! This was the easiest Monday I have lived in quite some time. The drinks were was delicious, despite the cost.
The at-a-glance  –
  • The purpose? Panoramas of the cityscape. The views, though not nearly as spectacular as the Old Post Office Tower or as pretty at the National Arboretum, were nice. The weather again made the experience of the rooftop terrace bar even better.
  • Cost? Just above the average [DC] non-happy hour price.
  • Bathrooms? So fancy! Who doesn’t like a trough style sink? Plus, a full length mirror—I’m sold.
  • Would I recommend this to a friend? Yes.
  • Would I go back? Probably not go back on account of expense, though I would not turn down being taken back! Ahem, Boyfriend.
Union Market – Best DC bagels yet. When you are four hours from New York, New York, you must make do. So while these are not Brooklyn bagels, as claimed, their chewy goodness stands a fighting chance at my rationalizing a six mile bike ride each time I need a mouthful of bagel heaven.
The at-a-glance  –
  • The purpose? Wandering. Eating. Shopping. Hanging.
  • Cost? If you stick to the Trickling Springs Creamery chocolate milk (for $1.80/pint) and the ($1.00) bagel, you’ll find the prices quite reasonable. (My heart is happy with just these two things!) If you allow your eyes to wander throughout the market’s vibrant mix of restaurants and retail, the sticker shock may hit you.
  • Bathrooms? With patience, yes. There are forever lines!
  • Would I recommend this to a friend? I have already brought a friend back.
  • Would I go back? Need you ask.
Rosedale Recreation Center – So while Rosedale Recreation Center was not specifically on The List, “Swim in DC” was. The recreation center boasts a pool (and gym and library and playground), in the city. And it was everything I wanted over the Memorial Day weekend and more. I was with friends under the sun floating between lethargy and activity. This one trip matches the number of times I swam all last summer (minus the whole triathlon thing). I do not intend to re-do 2013. I will visit pools and be merry all summer long. Bring on the heat. And the unsupervised children.
The at-a-glance  –
  • The purpose? To soak up Vitamin D amongst friends.
  • Cost? Free for DC residents. 
  • Bathrooms? Spotless. I will be back to judge come Labor Day.
  • Would I recommend this to a friend? Doubtful, this is my secret hangout now. 
  • Would I go back? You will find me there all summer long!
Washington National Cathedral – Boyfriend and I, along with Mrs. C and M.E.K’s youngest sister, C.M.C., spent Memorial Day touring the cathedral. This is somewhere I have wanted to visit for a long time, but especially so after the August 2011 earthquake. The earthquake took quite a toll on the cathedral, and unlike the Washington Monument, which reopened this month after years of repair; the cathedral will not be repaired/restored for some time. Though there was an exhibit featuring the damage, it was not as extensive as I would have hoped. We jumped on a school-group tour, as there were not enough docents for a tour of our own, and learned a little more about the damage; I still wasn’t totally satisfied.
The cathedral itself, however, was gorgeous! And I learned a lot about the history throughout the tour. The construction began in 1907 and was not completed until 1990. So while it’s old, I’m actually older in terms of “finished” products. Weird, I know. I also acquired some interesting, not at all useful facts about Gothic architecture while Boyfriend wandered what seemed like aimlessly because he claimed he knew everything there is to know about this style architecture. Nerd.
The at-a-glance  –
  • The purpose? To learn. To appreciate. To be spiritual.
  • Cost? There is a $10.00 price tag Monday through Saturday, as of January 2014—you snooze you lose, which will probably keep me from revisiting, though I understand and respect the need to raise funds to repair this iconic cathedral. 
  • Bathrooms? There is a bathroom, albeit with bizarre piping.
  • Would I recommend the tour to a friend?  Sure.
  • Would I go back? I would go back for a (free) Sunday service. I think that would be a neat experience.
What a time it has been!

No comments:

Post a Comment