Wednesday, May 28, 2014

The DC Bucket List, Part 2: Food

Moving right along to the food category, I have stuffed my face at these establishments and mostly enjoyed my time.

Hank’s Oyster Bar – Eh, real tight space and real loud. In addition, I found myself nursing a stomach ache for the duration of the evening. And while everything I managed to eat was delicious, I found everything I ate to be a bit overpriced. It was also a real stressful situation, which might have further dampened the experience, as this is where Boyfriend’s parents met my own. I would go back for the AK-47, my drink of the evening. It was everything I need a good drink to be—a strong, not sweet, spice-infused tequila concoction.

Bathroom? Real tight and real loud, just like the dining hall.

DGS Delicatessen – Without a doubt, the best Rueben I have consumed to date. And I have been to Detroit, Michigan! I foresee this as the only place I will Rueben henceforth. So much goodness in one sandwich. Also of note, incredible iced coffee. The biggest disappointment was the fact DGS does not have to-go cups because otherwise refill, stat. I will go back. And I would be OK sitting in a basement, which was originally seemed disappointing.

Bathroom? DGS bodes the most confusing bathrooms! After some trial and error, the picture of the female led me to the correct bathroom. Not all females are so obvious! Further, I had never seen this as a way to label bathroom sex prior to DGS, I have since seen this style fifty bajillion times. I do not prefer this style, no, not one bit.

Lavagna – As a substitute for Ted’s Bulletin, it was not that great. However, had I given this place a fair shot, I think I would have enjoyed my meal more. The chicken and waffles were not what I was expecting. It wasn’t bad, just not like other chicken and waffles I have had. The biscuits and gravy, which I split with Boyfriend were also very different than what either of us pictured. Everything was locally sourced, perhaps that’s the price you pay? There are so many places to try, I doubt I will wind up at Lavagna again.

Bathroom? I did not visit. I used the bathroom at Ted's Bulletin twice while we waited, only to be later served by Lavagna instead. Tough Sunday.

The Greek Deli – I visited The Greek Deli prior to my The W experience. I stood in line with all of Washington, D.C. And I enjoyed my experience as much as all these bystanders I assumed to be regulars did theirs. My only complaint was the placement of a random plant, which hid the entire menu, preventing me from making my selection until it was almost too late. Oh and no bathrooms, big complaint. The staff was incredibly friendly, almost too friendly. I will go back, even knowing it’s a hike from my office and there will be the aforementioned line. This establishment is only open for the weekday lunch. The Greek Deli is clearly doing something right, I would kill for hours like those.

Bathroom? Again, no. Wah.

Toki Underground – My third attempt was what could be called a success. We got there before 6:00 pm on a Saturday. We patiently waited an hour and a half to be seated. And then we dined on heaven in a bowl. I opted for Kimchi Ramen, Boyfriend went for the classic. They were both scrumptious. I was totally sold on the poached egg floating in my soup. I love eggs, especially when poached… and oh my goodness, such a fine addition to a bowl of noodle dough in broth. The biggest up or downside to Toki is the 29 total seats, so don’t expect to be seated (quickly or) with a party bigger than three. And, I guess I should mention while I left stuffed, I was hungry about two hours later. I will go back, though. Often, I hope.
Bathroom? It is only as I write now I’m realizing I did not visit the bathroom. Poorly played.

Food TrucksCaptain Cookie provided my first true Food Truck experience, serving up of the greatest combination of time: Trickling Spring Creamery chocolate milk and two cookies—chocolate chip and Nutella. It was so delicious. I have been dying to go back for seconds. But lucky for my waistline, the Food Trucks rotate streets throughout the week in a rather unpredictable fashion. (The trucks can be followed online… but time.) Then this past weekend, Boyfriend and I were out doing our grocery shopping and stumbled upon… Astro Donuts. If there is anything to be noted about my food priorities, know donuts rank in my top three (with bagels and M&Ms). So we had to stop! We intended to share one donut as we were minutes away from attending a barbeque, but the Food Truck Man messed up our order and we ended up with an extra donut. What a problem! These were ahhhh-mazing donuts. And guess what? I don’t have to stalk this truck because they have a permanent location near my office. Life is so good.

We purchased the maple bacon donut and were gifted a cinnamon donut. For my Kansas readers, the frosting on both donuts was identical to the butterscotch frosting at Daylight Donuts, when Mr. Ken was in charge. Food speaks to my soul when it brings back memories of my formative years.

This was truly a life highlight. Last comment (and I’ll stop with the analysis), these donuts were so good I could have gone sans frosting, sugar, or toppings. The core donut was just right. It’s an impressive feat, really. I will be back. I will introduce friends.

Bathroom? Food Trucks don’t have bathrooms, so no comment there.

The Italian Store –This off-the-beaten-path gem has been written up more than I can count. Boyfriend and I like sandwiches, bunches and bunches. But ever since the C.A.H. began his career at Jimmy Johns, I have been hooked on their #6 and have had no reason to seek sandwiches out elsewhere. I did try Taylor Gourmet, which makes a decent roast beef for almost $3.00 more than my Jimmy John’s go-to, no thank you. Anyway, being in the general vicinity, we decided to finally give The Italian Store a go. The sandwiches were simple and delicious, with an essence of Jimmy Johns provided in the hot and sweet peppers topping on our Carpri and Marini sandwiches. There are no cups for water, rude. (There were bottled drinks for purchase.) I went to the neighboring establishments—Starbucks, CVS, and Giant—in search of free water to no avail. I ended up with a pre-tax $1.00 gallon of water from Giant. If you have to pay for water, you must price compare! I would go back, if I was in the area and hungry and had a water bottle and an empty bladder. I would not go out of my way to visit.

Bathrooms? Nonexistent, huge con.

My summer targets include Bayou Bakery, BonChon Chicken, Le Diplomate, Mussel Bar and Grille, and Ted's Bulletin. Is your stomach calling? You're invited.

No comments:

Post a Comment