Thursday, February 6, 2014

An Affected Life

The New York Times is writing an article about recent Peace Corps volunteers. These journalists are currently collecting data on the broad topic: How Did Your Recent Peace Corps Service Affect Your Life? I'm someone who believes in processing and understanding and learning from; naturally, I opted to answer the call. I'm doubtful that anything will become of it. I'm hopeful an article on this topic will be published at all. After challenging myself to respond to two questions with strict word limits--100 and 150, respectively--I thought I would share my answers here.

Why did you extend or not finish your Peace Corps commitment?

While celebrating the "Close of Service" of fellow volunteers at a hotel in Maseru, the capital of Lesotho, my friend and I left the event to walk back to the Peace Corps (PC) Training Center, a quarter mile down the road. On our return walk to the hotel, my closest volunteer friend and PC neighbor was shot and killed. I was then sent back to the US for medical attention. PC eventually decided it was unsafe for me to return to Lesotho with a suspect at large. I restarted my service in Ghana and was medically separated shortly after.

How did your service affect your life after you left the Peace Corps?

First and foremost, I lost a friend while serving in Lesotho. As a result, the depth to which Peace Corps (PC) still affects my life today is in almost every way. There isn't a day, there's hardly a moment, that passes where I'm not reminded of my service. Through PC I experienced my highest highs and lowest lows. These highs, whether listening to my host sister share her story in broken English or planting gardens for orphans, showed me the brightest side of life. They've given me hope, taught me kindness, and instilled patience within me. Losing a friend, among other lows, ignited my courage and strength. These darkest times taught me to fight and to believe in myself. We as humans may not be able to control the unpredictability of life. But these moments--high and low--inspire me to live a life outside of myself.

Peace Corps recruits with the slogan, "Life is calling. How far will you go?" After serving in the Mountain Kingdom, I promised myself I would find my calling in local charities, often just as in need as the foreign nationals I served amongst. There are people fighting illnesses in need of blood. There are puppies at shelters in need of cuddling and walking. There are underpaid workers at the fire department that would love a plate of homemade cookies. There are underprivileged children in need of tutors and positive adult role models. There are soup kitchens that need servers. Through writing today, I realized my own needs have been elevated above the many deserving individuals in my community. If I want to be the best version of me, I need to answer these calls.

Will you join me? Let's serve.   

1 comment: