Friday, January 24, 2014

Winter Blues

You know what I wish? That every Monday was a holiday. You know what I don't wish? That the Tuesday following the Federal Government would shutdown in anticipation of snow. I can plan a three-day weekend; I can relish in all that it is. I don't need an extra unplanned day. I thrive on routine. My ability to be spontaneous isn't what it used to be. And when the (anticipated) snow doesn't stick until late in the day, my eagerness to play sets with the sun. The three-day weekend allows for the right amount of relaxation and productivity with the added benefit that there are only four days of work following. The four-day weekend adds way too much in terms of lethargy.

(I might be the only one in the history of mankind to be thrown off, and therefore maybe a bit annoyed,  about a day off work.)

I really struggled to find my rhythm this week. Because it wasn't just Tuesday off, there was a two-hour delay on Wednesday. As work resumed, the temperatures remained evil on Thursday and Friday,  never rising above 20 degrees. It might be fair to say I lived in the South too long because I see zero reason to leave the apartment in digits that low.

After a few easy weeks, followed by even easier weekends, I jammed this past three-day weekend full. I wanted this weekend to hurdle me into each weekend for the remainder of 2014. But instead I'm here at home... still searching for this burst of motivation--the one that sends me into the plan, book, live, repeat mode. The more I go, the more I want to go. A 19-hour work week certainly doesn't leave me feeling as though I've accomplished anything.

So winter, I respect your plans. But I'm ready to reach a compromise. This year--2014--and I have plans, plans I intend to live outside the confines of my apartment, albeit warm and welcoming.

No comments:

Post a Comment