Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Reflections on the Holidays

The holidays are a fabulous time of year. As I grow older, I gain a fuller appreciation of the Thanksgiving and Christmas season. The lights. The music. The excitement. The togetherness. The wonder. The smells. The warmth. The memories of my childhood years. And the sweet memories being made each new year.

This appreciation is derived from the work that goes into creating holiday magic.

Planning.
Shopping.
Baking and cooking.
Making.
Writing Christmas cards--stuffing, addressing, and stamping.
Decorating.
Traveling. 

This year--and maybe even last year--the effort seemed worth it. I reveled in the payout. 

But then January came with a calm never before experienced. And I have to say, while December was crammed with fun activities and travel, the pause has been a blessing. I only have one weekend book this entire month. And before that weekend comes, I will continue to have ample time to catch my breath. 

Part of my distaste with the holidays prior, especially Christmas, is the mandatory consumerism. It burdens me. It stresses me out. It angers me. 

I tired to get away from that, giving gifts chocked-full with meaning and asking for only "stretch" need--defined as life enhancers that I would not necessarily purchase for myself. My list included a range of gifts ideas too, with no true expectations. And I tried not to control nearly as much. 

Again, the payout was spectacular. I was more excited to give than to receive. Check. Plus, I was gifted some incredible presents I would not have even known how to ask for. Check. And some [gifts] I asked for and admittedly like just as much. Check. 

I feel truly thankful for the generous people in my life. Exhibit A: Generosity with spending. As I become more aware of the expense of adult life (re: The 2014 Budget Crisis), I'm exponentially grateful for the kindness allotted by others. And Exhibit B: Generosity with time. While shopping for others requires time (and thought), a handmade gift is an exponential multiplier. The rate at which I live my life seems to end up costing me time. I want to be someone who choses to spend my time doing or making something for someone else. For now, I'll let Christmas 2013 be my example. 

So what is this blog, if it's not a play-by-play documentation of my life? To highlight a few of my favorites, from M.R.B. I received an afghan she crocheted. The afghan is beautiful. And warm. And colorful. And cozy. I'm obsessed. I have cuddled up with it every night since opening. 
And S.M.S., my brother's girlfriend, stitched me an apron. The front (or back) displays all things Atlanta Braves and the reverse is Clemson University themed. From my kitchen, I'll be able to cheer all year long. How practical. And fun.

These women did incredible jobs. I have no idea how much time and effort when into crafting my apron; I do, however, have an idea about the blanket. Because apparently the blanket wasn't enough, I "got" a hobby for Christmas too. Today marks the time, I consider myself a skilled beginner in the single stitch (crochet). My mini masterpiece is highlighted below. It's nothing, i.e., not a scarf or a blanket. It simply displays my progress single stitch during a holiday afternoon, a Sunday NFL Playoff Game, and the BCS National Championship. I'm going to take up my first project here real soon and turn this blog into my gallery. Only kidding.
So my point: M.R.B. worked really hard. (I'm sure S.M.S. did too!) And for a long period of time--my estimate has me guessing forever--to produce this cherished gift.

If you're on my 'good list' for 2014, I see pot holders, coasters, place mats, hats, and/or tech cozies in your future. From my craft room to yours, be inspired.

Though I basically just spent 482 words describing how much there is to celebrate in receiving, I feel compelled to close with a thank you to the hosts and travelers throughout November and December. I imagined the holidays would grow dull with age under the assumption there wouldn't be as much to celebrate. Well there is much more the celebrate than presents, it seems--the time with family in Boston, Massachusetts to Atlanta, Georgia to Phoenix, Arizona above all. A big, big thank you to the special people in my life for sharing this stellar season with me.

1 comment:

  1. I LOVE the apron! There is added incentive for you to get your dumpster diving sewing machine up & running! You can add aprons to your 2014 gift giving stock pile!

    Glad you are enjoying the afghan! And although not planned, I am glad it is large enough for two! Keep on cuddling!

    Much love!
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete